cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 (or 2012) AWS Storage Gateway problems

Aaron_McQuistan
Level 3

I need assistance from someone who has successfully implemented the AWS Storage Gateway-VTL in either Backup Exec 2012 or in Backup Exec 2014.  On the AWS site, it shows that BE 2012 is a supported application for their Storage Gateway-VTL.  On the Key feature list for BE 2014 is shows that AWS Storage Gateway is supported.  I have not been able to get the VTL to work properly in either.

The problem I am having is that the robotic library (an STK L700) shows up, all 10 of the tape drives show up (ULT3580-TD5), but the drives are not listed under the library.  There are drives under the library, but they are all in red and have a "missing device" error.  I have tried for the last 3 days to work with Symantec support to resolve this.  They claim that the library is support and the drives are supported, but the drives are not support inside of the library.  They provided links to the HCL for both BE 2012 and BE 2014 to prove their point.  So, I asked them why their key new feature matrix for 2014 show support for AWS Storage Gateway and the setup documentation in AWS shows a screenshot of the drives under the library in BE 2012.  They didn't have an answer for this.

They are now telling me that instead of working with me to resolve my issue, they are instead working with the marketing group to remove support for AWS from the feature list.  WTF?!?  The support group is either unwilling or unable to connect me with the product team so that I can get some clarification on what components of the Storage Gateway is supported (besides the VTL, there is also a disk based gateway).

So, if anyone out there has successfully connected their BE installation to the AWS Storage Gateway I would greatly appreciate it if you shared the "secret sauce".

Thanks,

ALM

21 REPLIES 21

j_gutierrez247
Level 2

Hi laurie,

quik ?

I am getting a  backup exec service error.bmp for server2012 how can i fix this.

j_gutierrez247
Level 2

I am getting a  backup exec service error.bmp for server2012 how can fix this. and evrytime we back up all our stuff from the day before but it does it automatically...but it crashes.