Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014

Automation2015
Level 4
Partner

Hi Team,

Just need to clarify 1 point.As per my assumption if the media is Overwritable and append period is not appendable.Tht media can be utlized to overwrite backups to it.

Example:

1)Label:ABC123

2)Media Set:Monthly

3)Overwrite protection period:Overwritable

4)Append Period:Not appendable.

Media ABC123 can be utlized as scratch media as it is an overwritable media?so the backups can write data to it.As per the backup schedule settings are append to media ,Overwrite if no appendable media is available.

Kindly clear the doubts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As it is currently overwriteable any job can take that tape and move it to their own media set if they need an overwritable tape you do not need to moev ot to scartch for this to happen. If it was not overwritable (and not appendable) it could not be used at all.

You only need to manually move the media to scratch if it is still overwrite protected and you want to make it available for jobs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Automation2015
Level 4
Partner

Anyone can help on this?

Colin_Weaver

Read the section on how overwritable tapes are chosen that is in the admin guide - there is a table that explains the selection process based on the settings you have against the server and the jobs.

Basically appendable media can ONLY be used by a job that starts as an append that is located in the same media set that the job is configured for.

Overwritable media can be taken by any jobs (either as a first tape or subsequent tapes) and Backup Exec can move them between media sets (based on the selection order explained in the admin guide)  as if they were scratch media.

As you have not set the option to append to media and fail if no appendable available your job will use the tape in your example (assuming no appendable media also available in teh media set and online)

Automation2015
Level 4
Partner

Hi Colin,

So i can be assure  that Tape abc123(media full) will be used for backup and it will be overwritten again as its overwritable media?Once the media is loaded i have to manually change the pool to scrtch media as currently it is in monthly?

Regards

Automation

Colin_Weaver

As it is currently overwriteable any job can take that tape and move it to their own media set if they need an overwritable tape you do not need to moev ot to scartch for this to happen. If it was not overwritable (and not appendable) it could not be used at all.

You only need to manually move the media to scratch if it is still overwrite protected and you want to make it available for jobs.

Automation2015
Level 4
Partner

Hi Colin,

! more question for this.I was running report scratch media availaibility.I was checking the same media which i mentioned above its showing Append hours Remaing as -2100 and append hours remaing Infinite -allow append.

But in pools for same media :

Overwrite protection period :Overwritable

Append period:Not appendabele(Media Full)

Can you please tell if its an overwritable media why it is not showing as overwritable in Scratch report  and showing -2100 hours remaining..

Regards

Automatuion

Colin_Weaver

Suggest you upgrade to BE 15 FP4 and if this report stil  shows misleading information, log a formal support case for us to look into it.