cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014SP2 only storing 1TB on 1.4TB LTO5 Tape??

toma
Level 4

I am replacing a Windows 2003 server with BE 2010 with a new server running Windows 2012r2 and BE2014SP2.  On the old server I can back up 2TB of data on to an LTO5 tape because of compression.  On the new server I have copied the exact same data from the old server and move the old tape drive over and now I can only store 1TB before it prompts me for a new tape.  I have hardware compression enabled on the tape drive.  Here is what the first tape stats look like:

Media Capacity:  1.39TB

Used Capacity:  1.39TB

Backup Data Written:  0.989 TB

Available Capacity:  1.85 GB

Compression Ratio:  1:1

What could be causing this?  The Drive is an HP LTO5 SAS drive on a Dell R720 server.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

That shows 0 compression...make sure you're using the Symantec drivers, and you can install them using tapeinst.exe.

I assume that the data isn't stored on a dedupe drive?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your numbers don't add up.  How can the sum of the used and available capacity exceeds the media capacity?

1) Check the joblog to see whether hardware compression is used.

2) Try using software compression and see how much data you can put on the tape.  The compression ratio for software and hardware compression should roughly be the same.

3) clean the tape drive

4) run the HP LT&T utility against the tape drive.  Make sure that you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BEservices beforehand.

5) if you are using a tape library, make sure that it appears in the Windows device manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and not a HP driver.

toma
Level 4

On the old server the data is 2TB and is not de-duped.  On the new server the data was copied and then dedupe was enabled and now the data only used 1TB of space on the new drive.  BE2014 is re-hydrating the data to the original size before sending it to tape.  I can't check the log since I cancelled the job at 50% when it asked for another tape.

When I looked for the driver details it says "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device".  I will try and load the Symantec drivers.  I woudl think the installer woudl do that if needed??

toma
Level 4

I could not find tapeinst.exe on the installed drive or on the installation media anywhere.  Is this still available for BE2014?

toma
Level 4

You are correct - the number do not add up but that is what BE is reporting.

The joblog does not show compression because i quit when it asked for a second tape

I will try SW compression, but I will have to wait until I get back to the office to push the tape back in.

I have cleaned the drive and the tape log does not show errors.

It is a single SAS drive, not a library.  The drive worked fine in the old server with BE2010 on Win2003