cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2015 - Agent For Windows???

Backupz
Level 4

Hello all - 

I am currently upgrading my servers (FROM: Windows 2008 R2 with Backup Exec 2010 R3, TO: Server 2012 R2 with Backup Exec 2015).

I do not recall ever needing a separate - 'Agent for Windows' when I purchased my licenses Backup Exec 2010 R3.  

*Therefore my question is, will I now be missing functionality that I had before with 2010 R3?*  

Thanks in advance! :)

19 REPLIES 19

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1 Agent for Windows is included in the BE core product license which is consumed by the media

server itself (server where Backup Exec core product is installed). To backup additional server or 

applications (Exchange, SQL etc) you will need to buy additional license.

Refer to BE15 licensing guide.

http://static.symanteccloud.com/estore/resources/en/be-2015-licensing-guide.pdf

Backupz
Level 4

Thank you for the reply.  I have looked at the licensing guide, however I still find it confusing.

If I purhcase a Remote Agent, for a remote server, do I also need to account for the 'Agent for Windows' on that remote server?

AmolB

What do you mean by  "do I also need to account for the 'Agent for Windows' on that remote server?"

Backupz
Level 4

I suppose I am confusing myself bewteen 'Remote Agent ' and 'Agent for Windows', as these two items are actually the same thing I suppose.

Backupz
Level 4

In other words, an 'Agent For Windows' is needed to backup a remote server (in general), correct?

AmolB

Yes. An Agent for Windows is required to backup a remote windows server.

Backupz
Level 4

Rodger that, thank you.

Backupz
Level 4

Question Regarding VMs - 

Thank you for the help so far, however I am confused on how to prepare my licensing for  remote virtual environments.  

Say I have two servers, Server A (main server) and Server B (remote server).  On Server B (remote server), I have a Hyper-V VM.  Will I need to just simply purchase an 'Agent for VMware and Hyper-V' or do I need to get the 'V-Ray Edition' instead?

Backupz
Level 4

Thank you for the help so far, however I am confused on how to prepare my licensing for virtual environments.  Say I have two servers, Server A (main server) and Server B (remote server).  On Server B (remote server), I have a Hyper-V VM.  Will I need to just simply purchase an 'Agent for VMware and Hyper-V' or do I need to get the V-Ray Edition instead?

AmolB

If its only a single VM then buying a remote agent would be cost effective as compared to buying an 

Agent for VMware or Hyper V. There are lot of components included in the V Ray edition, check if 

you need all these componenets. Refer to the below blog related on V-Ray editon, 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/whats-included-backup-exec-v-ray-edition

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Does the VM has applications/databases, like Exchange or SQL Server databases that you want to back up?  If so, you would need an Agent for Application and Databases licence for each application/database on the VM.  With this licence, you also get an Agent for Windows System which allows you to backup the files on the VM.  You would need to backup this VM as if it is a physical machine.  To recover this VM, you would need to to recover it as if it is a physical machine.

If you want to backup and restore this VM as a VM, then you need either an  'Agent for VMware and Hyper-V' licence or a V-Ray Edition licence.  The advantage of a V-Ray licence is that it gives you an unlimited number of Agent for Application and Databases licences to backup applications/databases.  The V-Ray edition is usually good for an environment with lots of VM.

If you get an  'Agent for VMware and Hyper-V' licence, then you still need to buy Agent for Application and Databases licences to backup applications/databases in your VM's.

Before buying any licence, check with the Symantec Licencing department which is the final authority on licencing.

Backupz
Level 4

Appreciate the responses, thank you everyone.

I am planning the remote server to have two VMs.  Each VM will have a special SQL database.

For this example, let's say I have Server A (main server) and Server B (remote server with two VMs, each of which contains a SQL database).

Therefore, is what I listed below, everything will I need for this example? 

(1) Backup Exec Server license - For the main server

(1) Remote Agent For Windows - To back up the the remote server

(2) Agent for VMware and Hyper-V licenses - For the two remote server VMs

(2) Agent for Application and Databases licences - For the SQL databases on each of the two VMs.

Any help would be appreciated.  I am just trying to get my stuff in order before I make the calls to the licensing department.

--Thanks again!

AmolB

If your infrastructure is limited to only 2 VM's then I would suggest you...

1 x BE Core Product

2 Agent for App and DB license for 2 SQL server's (which also includes Agent for Windows)

Backupz
Level 4

So to recap, I wouldn't need any licenses for 'Agent for VMware and Hyper-V' (even though the SQL databases are on the VMs)?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
As I said earlier, if you do not get the 'Agent for VMware and Hyper-V' licence, then you would backup and restore the VM's as physical machines. You cannot just restore the VHD's to recover the VM's. If you want faster recovery, buy the 'Agent for VMware and Hyper-V' licence

Backupz
Level 4

Okay, another question regarding the host OS of the Remote Server.  

I see that a 'Remote Agent for Windows' comes with a 'Agent for database and applications', however will that only technically be license for the VMs in my situtation?

In other words, if I have a remote server, with two VMs and each VM has a special SQL database, do I need the Agent for Windows for the HOST OS on the remote server?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I see that a 'Remote Agent for Windows' comes with a 'Agent for database and applications'

No.  It is the other way round. The Agent for Applications and Databases licence includes the Agent for Windows licence.  If you buy the Agent for Windows licence, you would not be able to back up any applications/databases.

do I need the Agent for Windows for the HOST OS on the remote server?

No.  You just need the Agent for VMware and Hyper-V licence for the host which also entitles you to Agent for Windows licence for any number of VM's on the licenced host.  Again, this does not allow you to backup any applications/databases in any VM.  You would need an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each application/database in each VM.

Backupz
Level 4

This has got to me the most confusing licensing scheme I have ever encoutered.  And the support hotline is hard to deal with because I cannot understand the people talking.

Please tell me what I need if I have the following:

Server A - This server is my main data server.  I need it to backup itself.  It does not have any additional requirements.

Server B - This server is a remote server.  It contains 2 VMs.  Each VM has a speical SQL database.  I need both VMs backed up, along with the SQL databases, and the base OS\data of the physical remote server itself.

Thanks again.

pkh,

Perhaps you can help me.  I have one Windows-Server-2016 and 6 local workstations running Win-10-Pro.

In previous versions, I was able to backup all of my workstations.  When I upgraded to version 16, the Agent for Workstations was automatically converted to a 60-day trial.

Am I now going to have to purchase an Agent for Window license for each workstation (at a cost of about $500 each)?

Lew