cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2015 - Backup-to-disk with Duplication-to-Tape with compression and encryption

UE-IT
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I'm using Backup Exec 2015 and a Backup-to-Disk job with compression and encryption to disk. After the job is done, it duplicates the backup to tape, also called "Duplication-to-Tape". Therefore, I have a few questions:

1. Does the "Duplicaton-to-Tape" from disk write the files itself or write the backup-files (.b2d) to the tape?

2. Do I have to enable the compression and encryption in the "Duplication-to-Tape" from Disk -Job, too? Or, does it matter anyways?

3. When compression and encryption enabled in "Backup-to-Disk"-Job AND also in "Duplicate-to-Tape"-Job, does the job compress and encrypt again - for a second time - or does it ignore that, or how does it work?

4. When compression and encryption enabled in "Backup-to-Disk"-Job BUT DISABLED in "Duplicate-to-Tape"-Job, does the job de-compress and de-(en)crypt the backup-files?

Shortly said, I want the Backups compressed and encrypted on disk and also on tape. What would be the best / correct configuration?

5. Last but not least - What does / how works the "Direct Copy to Tape"-Option? Does this option dicectely copy the backup-files (.b2d) to tape, or does it write the backup-files simultanouesly to Tape while backing up to disk? The description in the help doesn't make sense for me.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you duplicate a backup set, the backup set gets duplicated, not the individual items.

For what you want, you should enable compression and encryption in the backup to disk job and do NOT enable compression and encryption in your D2T job.  Otherwise, the backup set will be doubly compressed and encrypted.

The "Direct Copy to Tape" option is for VTL's and it does not apply to your situation.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you duplicate a backup set, the backup set gets duplicated, not the individual items.

For what you want, you should enable compression and encryption in the backup to disk job and do NOT enable compression and encryption in your D2T job.  Otherwise, the backup set will be doubly compressed and encrypted.

The "Direct Copy to Tape" option is for VTL's and it does not apply to your situation.

UE-IT
Level 3

Did it as you suggested. Seems to run well, as far as I can see.

Thanks a lot!