Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2015

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi,

Hope someone can help me on this.

Can we now install Backup Exec 15 as a VM on Hyper-V ? Will Symantec support this ?

Can we now install Backup Exec 15 as a VM on VMware ? Will Symantec support this ?

What do we use for the HCL & SCL for Symantec VRay Edition for 2014 or 2015 ?

- Will the SCL & HCL for Backup Exec be a valid reference?

Thanks,

Paul

8 REPLIES 8

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Most of your answers can be found here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-15-where-find-manuals-guides-and-compatib...

HCL/SCL for Vray are same as BE2014 / BE2015

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Installing BE as a VM on Hyper-V or VMware has always been supported.

However, installing BE on a Vmware VM and then using passthrough storage devices is not completely supported.

And yes, the SCL & HCL are valid references for OS, application compatibility checks.

Colin_Weaver

Backup Exec has always been able to run inside a VM (either Hyper-V or VMware), the bit that is not supported is writing to physical tape devices (unless they are on iSCSI configured directly into the Operating system within the VM) 

For Hyper-V this is not usually a major issue as the Hyper-V host can eaaily be made into a Media server.

The compatibility list for Vray are the same as the compatibility lists for the Virtual Agents  on their own (plus the details of where a media server can be installed) so just look at the main compatibility listings

The reason their is no separate list is V-Ray is just a licenisng bundle there are no technological differences.

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi.

Thank you for the reply.

I forgot to mention, I plan to deploy backup exec 15 as a VM within Hyper-V and enable the deduplication option.

Is this recommended & will I receive technical support from Symantec if I encounter problems?

Thanks,

Paul

VJware
Level 6

Where would the DeDuplication folder be created upon ?

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi,

It will either be created on a Local Hard Disks (DAS) or a SAN with 10 Gbps iSCSI connectivity.

Do you recommend 10K or 15K SAS drives? I read that throughput should be 150 to 200 MB / sec for suffecient performance. As I understand SAS drives can acheive that throughput.

Thanks,

Paul

VJware
Level 6

Installing BE on a VM and using DeDupe is supported.

Have a look @ the last few lines of this KB for best practices - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74446

NetworkCompany
Level 4

For the deduplication volume, I use a dedicated RAID 50 volume with 12x6tb 12gb/sec 7200RPM SAS drives in an MD1400 attached to a PERC H830 they are well above 200mb/sec.  10k or 15k SAS drives would work but it would depend on how they are arranged and the adapter they are attached to.

We backup the dedup storage to SAS tape drives but passing through the tape drives to a VM has proved unreliable so we run BE on a dedicated server.