cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2016 SDR Crashing when booting from iso image

Bruce_Martin
Level 3

When booting from cd or iso image on thumb drive, it freezes with image on screen.

8 REPLIES 8

criley
Employee Accredited

@Bruce_Martin

Has it ever worked on this particular machine? Have you tried on any other machines?

How long have you waited for to see if it eventually boots up?

I have used the exact same thumb drive on another server, was able to boot up and go into veritas backup exec.  This server only gets to the blue windows screen, and stops.  I let it sit overnight, still nothing.  On another server it did take about 30 minutes to get to the veritas screen.  But this server, its a no go.  Same thing happens from a cd.  Both the cd and thumbdrive came from built .ISO from veritas.  Made both cd and thumbdrive on the server that compiled the .iso image.  Anyone have any thoughts as to how to boot this up into veritas?

criley
Employee Accredited

@Bruce_Martin

So that sounds to me like something specific to the hardware/configuration of that server then.

Whilst not the same error, this may be worth checking: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100031142.html

I will check out that article, and get back to you.  Thank you for your help.

I ran the coreinfo, and the processor supports NX and the other item.  So its not that.  Is there a specific way to create the ISO image so that it will boot up?  I have tried all the normal routes, following the instructions by the book, all to no avail.  Any ideas?

criley
Employee Accredited

@Bruce_Martin

This won't fix the issue, but it's worth testing I think: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-create-usb-bootable-driv...

If you see the same issue with this (a 'vanilla' WinPE image), you at least know this issue is not specific to Backup Exec SDR.

I created a WinPE usb drive, and it booted to it.  So now I know that the hardware works with this type of bootable medium.  How do I make the bootable one from Veritas.  I have tried the SDR one, with CD and usb drive, both freeze up.  Now what do I do, is there someone at Veritas that can deliver me an image that will work?

criley
Employee Accredited

@Bruce_Martin

I think it may be time to open a support case then.

NOTE: Veritas are not allowed to supply SDR images due to due legal restrictions put in place by Microsoft.