cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 21 "Browse Failure" The service has not been started" when browsing Windows network

Wael68
Level 3

Hello Folks, running Backup Exec 21 I get a "Browse Falure" "The service has not been started" error whenever I try to add a workgroup computer via the "Browse".  See attached photo.  I'm completely worn out with trying to figure this out.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  THANK YOU

IMG_6009.JPGIMG_6011.JPG

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Forget about Backup Exec for now -
Can you use Windows Explorer on the BE server and expand 'Network'?
Are workgroup machine names listed?

Marianne

RogRubin
Employee

In addition to Marianne's suggestion
Can you ping this machine from the BE server via IP, Netbios, FQDN ?

Thank you for the reply.  In windows explorer I am only able two see one of the workgroup computers in windows explorer when I expand the network.  The machine I am able to see is a windows7 machine.  The two other machines which are windows 10, I am not able to see.  I am able to ping all machines and I am also able to access all machines by typing in the machine name directly in explorer and reach any machine  (ie: \\mymachine)

I hope this helps

Thank you, yes I am able to ping the machines via IP address

Yes I have installed the agent on all workgroup computers manually/locally using the method described in the post above.

Marianne

@Wael68 wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  In windows explorer I am only able two see one of the workgroup computers in windows explorer when I expand the network.  The machine I am able to see is a windows7 machine.  The two other machines which are windows 10, I am not able to see.  I am able to ping all machines and I am also able to access all machines by typing in the machine name directly in explorer and reach any machine  (ie: \\mymachine)

I hope this helps

@Wael68 
Check the machines that you cannot see in Windows Explorer and verify that 'network discovery' is enabled in 'Network and Sharing Center'.

@Marianne, yes I'm sorry I did initially post in the wrong forum.  I appologize about that.  I am new to this community and that was my first post.  I could not find how to delete the other post.  If you can do it for me I would appreciate that.  Also I want to thank you for all your help.  I've got it figured out.  It's strange but what I did was install the agent locally on all computers then I just added the computers manually in Backup Exec by typing in their respective name (ie: \\mycomputer).  I unchecked the selection to install the agent.  It came back with an error about not able to establish communication but it added them anyway.  After that I just clicked on each and selected "establish trust".  The trust succeeded and I was able to run backups.

The strange part is after this, the browse that initially was failing started to just work properly.  Also in File Explorer I was able to see all the computers when I expanded Network.

Very Odd.

Thank you again for all your help and the useful links you provided!