cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 21 "Browse Failure" The service has not been started" when browsing Windows network

Wael68
Level 3

Hello Folks, running Backup Exec 21 I get a "Browse Falure" "The service has not been started" error whenever I try to add a workgroup computer via the "Browse".  See attached photo.  I'm completely worn out with trying to figure this out.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  THANK YOU

IMG_6009.JPGIMG_6011.JPG

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Forget about Backup Exec for now -
Can you use Windows Explorer on the BE server and expand 'Network'?
Are workgroup machine names listed?

Marianne
Level 6

RogRubin
Employee

In addition to Marianne's suggestion
Can you ping this machine from the BE server via IP, Netbios, FQDN ?

Thank you for the reply.  In windows explorer I am only able two see one of the workgroup computers in windows explorer when I expand the network.  The machine I am able to see is a windows7 machine.  The two other machines which are windows 10, I am not able to see.  I am able to ping all machines and I am also able to access all machines by typing in the machine name directly in explorer and reach any machine  (ie: \\mymachine)

I hope this helps

Thank you, yes I am able to ping the machines via IP address

Yes I have installed the agent on all workgroup computers manually/locally using the method described in the post above.

Marianne
Level 6

@Wael68 wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  In windows explorer I am only able two see one of the workgroup computers in windows explorer when I expand the network.  The machine I am able to see is a windows7 machine.  The two other machines which are windows 10, I am not able to see.  I am able to ping all machines and I am also able to access all machines by typing in the machine name directly in explorer and reach any machine  (ie: \\mymachine)

I hope this helps

@Wael68 
Check the machines that you cannot see in Windows Explorer and verify that 'network discovery' is enabled in 'Network and Sharing Center'.

@Marianne, yes I'm sorry I did initially post in the wrong forum.  I appologize about that.  I am new to this community and that was my first post.  I could not find how to delete the other post.  If you can do it for me I would appreciate that.  Also I want to thank you for all your help.  I've got it figured out.  It's strange but what I did was install the agent locally on all computers then I just added the computers manually in Backup Exec by typing in their respective name (ie: \\mycomputer).  I unchecked the selection to install the agent.  It came back with an error about not able to establish communication but it added them anyway.  After that I just clicked on each and selected "establish trust".  The trust succeeded and I was able to run backups.

The strange part is after this, the browse that initially was failing started to just work properly.  Also in File Explorer I was able to see all the computers when I expanded Network.

Very Odd.

Thank you again for all your help and the useful links you provided!