cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 7.3 FAILURE!

Jeromy
Level 3
Hi,
I am so very frustrated with this program.  I have been messing around with backup exec for 2 weeks now.  I had Backup Exec installed on another machine and it constantly failed.  I decided that there was a problem with our tape device.  Well, I installed it on another machine.  After I installed it it seemed to work fine.  I was able to see an active running status.  I come in the next day and an alert is on the screen telling me to insert media.  I do that, thinking well maby I asked the software to backup to much data.  Well I come in the next day and it tells me that the media was labled such and such.  Then after I respond OK, it asks me to put in new media again.  At this point I hit cancel.  I figured out that something isn't right.  I tried to retention a tape and it aborts.  I tried to go into NT Backup (NT 4.0)and an error comes on the screen telling me that there is a problem with my tape device, to check the cables, etc.  This is the second tape device that appears to be broken (Seagate, Tarvan).  The device did work with NT Backup last week.  The lights on the device come on when a tape is inserted.  I am having a hard time figuring out why it would work one day and then report that it has something wrong the next!  Any help that you may provide would greatly appreciated!  Thank you in advance. 

Jeromy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyon
Level 5
Hi jeromy,
To be honest, if NT Backup tells you that there is something wrong with the tape, then there ususlly is.
Try a full erase in NT Backup after you stopped the Backup Exec Services. After you done that, try a Backup with NT Backup and then with Backup Exec. If this don't work, then try to clean the drive with a cleaning tape several times and repeat the steps

Lyon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Firstly disabled RSM...it causes issues with BEWS.
Try a backup after doing this and see what happens then.
When it runs the job, does it write any data to the tape? Does it perhaps ask for the second tape to be inserted as you're backing up more data than will fit onto a single tape? That would explain the "Insert overwritable media" message you're getting.

Laters!

lyon
Level 5
Hi jeromy,
To be honest, if NT Backup tells you that there is something wrong with the tape, then there ususlly is.
Try a full erase in NT Backup after you stopped the Backup Exec Services. After you done that, try a Backup with NT Backup and then with Backup Exec. If this don't work, then try to clean the drive with a cleaning tape several times and repeat the steps

Lyon