cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 8.6 Failed on MS SQL Database Backup

Not applicable
Hello,Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time untilhere in the last few days. We're running onWindows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL Databasesnightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nights with acertain database Iam receiving this error in the log file:An error occurred on a query to database plat.^ ^ ^ ^ ^Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation (such asCREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue thestatement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulationoperation is completed.^ ^ ^ ^ ^Unable to open the item plat - skipped.Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.Thank you,Raun
6 REPLIES 6

Not applicable
Raun Williams wrote:> Hello,> Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time until> here in the last few days. We're running on> Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL Databases> nightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nights with a> certain database I> am receiving this error in the log file:> > > An error occurred on a query to database plat.> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^> Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation (such as> CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the> statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation> operation is completed.> > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^> Unable to open the item plat - skipped.> > > Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.> > Thank you,> Raun> > Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?Can you access it OK in other ways?Have you run a manual DBCC?

Not applicable
I've looked at our scheduled tasks for this Database and nothing is goingduring the backup time, and we can also access this DB just fine as it isconsidered one of main ones.I have not ran a manual DBCC at this point, although I don't know whyanything would have changed in the last few days. The one document I didfind on Veritas showed how to login to the server as the backup exec accountand test it through Enterprise Manager.. however in our situation that is abit hard to do. I will be attempting this via something else, but we'llhave to see what happens with. Anything else that can be going on in themean time?Thank you,Raun"Ken Putnam" wrote in messagenews:41e6a4a2@ROSASTDMZ05....> Raun Williams wrote:> > Hello,> > Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some timeuntil> > here in the last few days. We're running on> > Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL Databases> > nightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nights witha> > certain database I> > am receiving this error in the log file:> >> >> > An error occurred on a query to database plat.> > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^> > Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation (suchas> > CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the> > statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation> > operation is completed.> >> > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^> > Unable to open the item plat - skipped.> >> >> > Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.> >> > Thank you,> > Raun> >> >>> Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?> Can you access it OK in other ways?> Have you run a manual DBCC?

Not applicable
Ok,I've rand teh DBCC test and it's fine. What else could be going on withBackup Exec, it failed again last night on this database."Raun Williams" wrote in messagenews:41e6be74@ROSASTDMZ05....> I've looked at our scheduled tasks for this Database and nothing is going> during the backup time, and we can also access this DB just fine as it is> considered one of main ones.> I have not ran a manual DBCC at this point, although I don't know why> anything would have changed in the last few days. The one document I did> find on Veritas showed how to login to the server as the backup execaccount> and test it through Enterprise Manager.. however in our situation that isa> bit hard to do. I will be attempting this via something else, but we'll> have to see what happens with. Anything else that can be going on in the> mean time?> Thank you,> Raun>> "Ken Putnam" wrote in message> news:41e6a4a2@ROSASTDMZ05....> > Raun Williams wrote:> > > Hello,> > > Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time> until> > > here in the last few days. We're running on> > > Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL Databases> > > nightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nightswith> a> > > certain database I> > > am receiving this error in the log file:> > >> > >> > > An error occurred on a query to database plat.> > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^> > > Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation(such> as> > > CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the> > > statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation> > > operation is completed.> > >> > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^> > > Unable to open the item plat - skipped.> > >> > >> > > Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.> > >> > > Thank you,> > > Raun> > >> > >> >> > Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?> > Can you access it OK in other ways?> > Have you run a manual DBCC?>>

Not applicable
Ok. I'm not sure why I didn't check this to begin with...But, I edited my Jobs and when I went to select the SQL Databases to seewhat it said, it wanted me to enter the correct user/pass. Now it had inthere what it should have been already. I re-entered it, refused theconnection. Over and over.No one else but me deals with the backups, at all. The username andpassword is working fine. I can log into a workstation with it if I want. Idid the DBCC test with this user/pass and it was fine. Why is Backup Exectelling me it's incorrect and won't let me access the DB with it?Thank you,Raun"Raun Williams" wrote in messagenews:41e8111a@ROSASTDMZ05....> Ok,> I've rand teh DBCC test and it's fine. What else could be going on with> Backup Exec, it failed again last night on this database.>>> "Raun Williams" wrote in message> news:41e6be74@ROSASTDMZ05....> > I've looked at our scheduled tasks for this Database and nothing isgoing> > during the backup time, and we can also access this DB just fine as itis> > considered one of main ones.> > I have not ran a manual DBCC at this point, although I don't know why> > anything would have changed in the last few days. The one document Idid> > find on Veritas showed how to login to the server as the backup exec> account> > and test it through Enterprise Manager.. however in our situation thatis> a> > bit hard to do. I will be attempting this via something else, but we'll> > have to see what happens with. Anything else that can be going on inthe> > mean time?> > Thank you,> > Raun> >> > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message> > news:41e6a4a2@ROSASTDMZ05....> > > Raun Williams wrote:> > > > Hello,> > > > Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time> > until> > > > here in the last few days. We're running on> > > > Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQLDatabases> > > > nightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nights> with> > a> > > > certain database I> > > > am receiving this error in the log file:> > > >> > > >> > > > An error occurred on a query to database plat.> > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^> > > > Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation> (such> > as> > > > CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissuethe> > > > statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation> > > > operation is completed.> > > >> > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^> > > > Unable to open the item plat - skipped.> > > >> > > >> > > > Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.> > > >> > > > Thank you,> > > > Raun> > > >> > > >> > >> > > Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?> > > Can you access it OK in other ways?> > > Have you run a manual DBCC?> >> >>>

Not applicable
Raun Williams wrote:> Ok,> I've rand teh DBCC test and it's fine. What else could be going on with> Backup Exec, it failed again last night on this database.> > > "Raun Williams" wrote in message> news:41e6be74@ROSASTDMZ05....> >>I've looked at our scheduled tasks for this Database and nothing is going>>during the backup time, and we can also access this DB just fine as it is>>considered one of main ones.>>I have not ran a manual DBCC at this point, although I don't know why>>anything would have changed in the last few days. The one document I did>>find on Veritas showed how to login to the server as the backup exec> > account> >>and test it through Enterprise Manager.. however in our situation that is> > a> >>bit hard to do. I will be attempting this via something else, but we'll>>have to see what happens with. Anything else that can be going on in the>>mean time?>>Thank you,>>Raun>>>>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message>>news:41e6a4a2@ROSASTDMZ05....>>>>>Raun Williams wrote:>>>>>>>Hello,>>>>Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time>>>>until>>>>>>here in the last few days. We're running on>>>>Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL Databases>>>>nightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nights> > with> >>a>>>>>>certain database I>>>>am receiving this error in the log file:>>>>>>>>>>>>An error occurred on a query to database plat.>>>>^ ^ ^ ^ ^>>>>Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation> > (such> >>as>>>>>>CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the>>>>statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation>>>>operation is completed.>>>>>>>>^ ^ ^ ^ ^>>>>Unable to open the item plat - skipped.>>>>>>>>>>>>Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.>>>>>>>>Thank you,>>>>Raun>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?>>>Can you access it OK in other ways?>>>Have you run a manual DBCC?>>>>> > Hmmfrom enterprise manager, what is the status of that database?

Not applicable
Raun Williams wrote:> Ok. I'm not sure why I didn't check this to begin with...> But, I edited my Jobs and when I went to select the SQL Databases to see> what it said, it wanted me to enter the correct user/pass. Now it had in> there what it should have been already. I re-entered it, refused the> connection. Over and over.> > No one else but me deals with the backups, at all. The username and> password is working fine. I can log into a workstation with it if I want. I> did the DBCC test with this user/pass and it was fine. Why is Backup Exec> telling me it's incorrect and won't let me access the DB with it?> > Thank you,> Raun> "Raun Williams" wrote in message> news:41e8111a@ROSASTDMZ05....> >>Ok,>>I've rand teh DBCC test and it's fine. What else could be going on with>>Backup Exec, it failed again last night on this database.>>>>>>"Raun Williams" wrote in message>>news:41e6be74@ROSASTDMZ05....>>>>>I've looked at our scheduled tasks for this Database and nothing is> > going> >>>during the backup time, and we can also access this DB just fine as it> > is> >>>considered one of main ones.>>>I have not ran a manual DBCC at this point, although I don't know why>>>anything would have changed in the last few days. The one document I> > did> >>>find on Veritas showed how to login to the server as the backup exec>>>>account>>>>>and test it through Enterprise Manager.. however in our situation that> > is> >>a>>>>>bit hard to do. I will be attempting this via something else, but we'll>>>have to see what happens with. Anything else that can be going on in> > the> >>>mean time?>>>Thank you,>>>Raun>>>>>>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message>>>news:41e6a4a2@ROSASTDMZ05....>>>>>>>Raun Williams wrote:>>>>>>>>>Hello,>>>>>Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time>>>>>>until>>>>>>>>here in the last few days. We're running on>>>>>Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL> > Databases> >>>>>nightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nights>>>>with>>>>>a>>>>>>>>certain database I>>>>>am receiving this error in the log file:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>An error occurred on a query to database plat.>>>>>^ ^ ^ ^ ^>>>>>Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation>>>>(such>>>>>as>>>>>>>>CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue> > the> >>>>>statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation>>>>>operation is completed.>>>>>>>>>>^ ^ ^ ^ ^>>>>>Unable to open the item plat - skipped.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.>>>>>>>>>>Thank you,>>>>>Raun>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?>>>>Can you access it OK in other ways?>>>>Have you run a manual DBCC?>>>>>>>>> > An old workaroung for problems like this is to just create a new job, rather than modifyf an existing one.Don't know if that will work here, but it may be worth a try