cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 8.x unable to start Device & Media Services

Ychiu21
Level 2
i have a microsoft NT computer running an exchange server and i have problems starting Device & Media services on startup. Here is the event log:

The Backup Exec 8.x Server service depends on the Backup Exec 8.x Device & Media Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
The process terminated unexpectedly.

It also gave me an application error when i try to manually start the service saying "an application error has occurred: pvlsvr.exe "

Does anyone know what is wrong? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You don't mention the specific version and build. If it is not the latest that your license will support, try downloading and installing that. Otherwise, try re-installing the build that you are running.

Ychiu21
Level 2
It is Veritas BAckup Exec version 8.0 and I've tried reinstalling but it gave me the same error.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
v8.5 was a free upgrade from v8.0 IIRC.

You could always try an uninstall - Program files only, then install the last v8.5 build to the same place. This should keep all your local info (jobs, schedules media sets, job logs, catalogs, etc)

'Course if might not hurt to shut down BEWS and take an NTBackup of the entire\BackupExec install directory