cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.1 Win Server spanning multiple cartridges with DLT

Jacky_s
Level 2
 I am trying to backup a 90GB drive and have a DLT IV overland library.  I assigned a media pool and have 6 cartriges in the media set.  Start the backup and it gets done writing the first 33GB to a cartrige, then stops and asks me to put another cartrige in so it can continue.  the job is on hold currently waiting for me to 'import' (?) more media.  Any ideas.  I thought that it would just continue through the library in that media pool and start writing the data to the next tape in the media set.  Where do i get it set so that it will continue writing to the tapes in the media set until the entire backup job is done?

thanks in advance

Jacky
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
 Hi Jacky,
Sounds like the first thing to check is under "Tools" and "Options"... Go to the "Media Management" page and look at the "Media Overwrite" panel. Don't set to "Overwrite Scratch", and set it to "Overwrite recyclable media..." and check that the media in the media set you have set up is in fact overwriteable.
Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shirmal
Level 5
 Hi Jacky,
Sounds like the first thing to check is under "Tools" and "Options"... Go to the "Media Management" page and look at the "Media Overwrite" panel. Don't set to "Overwrite Scratch", and set it to "Overwrite recyclable media..." and check that the media in the media set you have set up is in fact overwriteable.
Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Also if this is the first time you are running this set of jobs, put the tapes into scratch media to start with.

If you put them straight into the media set, they are usually overwrite protected for the time you specified.

By putting them into scratch media, your job will grab a tape, run its job, then move it into the media set you specify the job is to use. That way, next week when the job runs again (assuming your media set has the correct overwrite protection period set) then the job will use the media from your media set which will be overwritable at that time.

This is how I got our loader and automated backup cycle working.. start all the tapes in scratch media, then after it runs and puts them in the right media set for you, they'll be good to go from that point on!

Hope that helps!