cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9 to backup Exchange 2000 mailbox

Johnlex
Level 3
 Hi,
I have a server installed BE 9 on a W2k3 (stand alone)
For some reason when I'm backing up Exchange 2000 Mailboxes
the backup process is very very Slow, about 5 megs/minute
Usaully it's 200 megs/minute.
The BE Exchange service is installed and the open file is also installed.

Anyone...??

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

shirmal
Level 5
Hello,

There are a few things to check, most notably..
1. The Backup Exec Remote Agent build version is the same as the backup server.  (If not, completely uninstall, reboot, reinstall, and reboot again.)
2.  The Exchange server has been rebooted since the Remote Agent has been installed, and...
3.  How's your transfer speed between the two?  Try copying a 50MB file and see how quickly it transfers.  If it takes more than a minute on 100mbps, start looking at duplex/speed mismatches, replacing cable, and new NICs and/or drivers.

---cheers

shirmal

Marksw
Level 5
 What would you use OFO on a exchange server?  The Exchange agent will handle the exchange db's.  Are you excluding the Exchange Dir during Backup with AOFO.  Try breaking up the job and run a job on the mailboxes only.  Has the antivirus changed?

Mark

THarry
Level 5
 Johnlex,

Exchange mailbox backups are generally slower than a normal flat file backup - because every single email is being extracted out of the mailboxes using MAPI.

Try doing a test - export a mailbox using Outlook, what sort of speed do you get?

Other things that can cause slow mailbox are anti-virus programs - things like running a full scan on every mailbox at the same time of the backup - using vsapi(i think that's it) can also cause slowdowns (thats if you are using symantec)

Try a test backup with the anti-virus turned off.

Also if mailbox backups happen during the normal exchange maintenance period (1am-5am is the default) this can cause slowdowns as well.

Harry