cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Autoloader Missing

samuelBE
Level 4

We have reinstalled backup exec on the Media server. Once we finishe that on Device Manage the Media Changer give errror "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" , we have tried to uninstall and install but still same error. We use HP StoreEver 1/8 G2 LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 SCSI Autoloader and Backup Exec 201 R3 . 

rr.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

samuelBE
Level 4

Hi Thanks you all for your help..

I have changed my media server  and it works fine now.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1. Install Microsoft Drivers and make sure that it is listed as Unknown Medium Changer.

2. Run tests using the HP Tape utilities. (http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/content-webapp/document?docId=emr_na-c02514442)

3. Check the SCSI ID configuration.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This would appear to be an issue outside of the B.E. scope. Unfortunately if Windows is unable to correctly see and interact with the device neither will Backup exec. You may want to try completely removing the device from windows and then reinstalling. 

samuelBE
Level 4

Sorry , bu i don't understand .. which Microsoft Drivers?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

If you go to the Drivers tab and try to change the drivers, you would get (built-in) Microsoft Drivers

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124860

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are not using Server 2008, then follow the instructions in the document below to change the driver of the library to the Microsoft driver.

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...

The library must show up in the Windows Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and Windows must say that it is functioning normally.  If it is not functioning normally in the Device Manager, then BE cannot use it.

If necessary, delete the library entry in the Device Manager and then reboot your server so that the library is detected and re-installed properly in Windows.

mustansir
Level 4
From the image I see its a multi lun connection....and both tape drive and medium changer are not detected properly as stated by jaydeep above check for the scsi card drivers aswell....another thing would be to cehck the connection.....check with another server if same issue occurs there with library..if not than most likely could be scsi card...

samuelBE
Level 4

I have unistalled the driver and it shows "unkown media changer" but when  click Detail driver instead of "No Driver require or have been loaded for this device" , it shows me there is some driver as shown below.

iiiiiii.PNG

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think there is something wrong with your tape library.  You should contact the vendor and get it working in Windows.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

If you notice, there is a Yellow Exclaimation mark which shouldn't be there. Work with your Hardware Vendor and get this fixed. Unless it is setup in Windows correctly, Backup Exec would not be able to use it properly.

samuelBE
Level 4

Based from the above and this window below, i think it is somehting to do with symantec driver of the previouse one, may be it not completely removed ...

so do you have any idea how can we remove registry of symantec driver for autoloader?uuu.PNG

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Unfortunately, Symantec has not made any drivers yet for the Autoloader (in no previous versions of Be as well). Hence, there wont be any entry for it.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...all tape autoloaders/libraries are multi-LUN...not sure what this has to do with the issue at hand?

Thanks!

samuelBE
Level 4

but how can that .. in here, it show me the provider symantec

Capture.PNG

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

It is a MDM SCSI Capture Engine is a driver. Not a Medium Changer device driver !!

CraigV

...StoreEver is simply the new name for HP's tape offering. You guys have a driver for this. It's a generic HP StorageWorks 1/8 autoloader which is on a number of versions' HCL.

Thanks!

CraigV

Samuel: what type of card is this autoloader connected too? Is it a supported card in terms of the HP QuickSpecs for that storage?

Thanks!

Michael_McNally
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Try uninstalling the device from the system (Windows)

Also remove it from Backup Exec device tab

Restart the server and let windows auto detect it

Attempt to configure in BE

That usually does the trick

If not it could be listed as a "Ghosted Device" Try showing hidden devices in the device manager and see if it is listed there and greyed out.

if it is, remove it.

This tech doc should assist with that:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH93292

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

best would be to contact hardware vendor, as it looks like more of the autoloader related issue...if device is not detected correctly in windows no ways it would work well with backup exec or in that case any backup application.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The OP is using BE, not NBU.  Your document is for NBU.