cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec (BE) (BUE) 2012 SP3 - Error 0xe00084af when backing up SQL

Steven_L_
Level 3

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Backup Exec 2012 SP3 from a Backup Exec 2012 SP1 install using LiveUpdate.  After the upgrade I am no longer able to take SQL database backups with the SQL "physical consistency checks" set to on.  The Job error is: 0xe00084af and the job log and history confirms that the physical consistency checks were successfull, but the Errors say:

V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all ...

Additionally, there are Exceptions stating that by SQL databases are corrupt files and cannot verify.  I know this is not true, but I can take successfull backups of my databases when I don't select the "physical consistency checks" and then jobs complete successfully, I have even successfully restored the databases. 

I'm backing up to a B2D Folder that is on an ExaGrid.  I'm wondering if anyone has had these issue with SP3 or with Backup Exec in general?

Thanks,

-Steven

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Steven,

If you're using Advanced Open File Option in your job, turn it off and try again. Referenced below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38338

Thanks!

Steven_L_
Level 3

Hello Craig,

Yes, "Use Snapshot technology" is selected and I've chosen to use Microsoft VSS. 

BUT

This was an upgrade from SP1 to SP3 and prior to this I have always been using it.  Why suddenly do I need to deselect this option and if I do, will I still be able to take good backups of SQL?

Note that I have other Backup Exec 2012 SP3 installations where I am successfully backing up SQL 2008 R2 and 2012 databases and there the option is selected.

Thank you for the quick response,

-Steven

drmont1
Level 3
Was getting same error here (we have a lot of SQL) before my environment went down due to the indefinite Queuing issue. I ended up having to turn off snapshot technology on the jobs backing up SQL because I never found anything wrong with the VSS side (and no 3rd party hardware VSS providers present) on the hosts.

Steven_L_
Level 3

Hello Drmont1,

Did this occur after an upgrade to SP3?

Thanks!

-Steven

drmont1
Level 3

Yes

Steven_L_
Level 3

Hello Drmont1,

Good to know from real world experience.  Thanks I will give that a shot and confirm with you.

Thanks!

-Steven

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should always turn off AOF when you are backing up databases like SQL Server or Exchange.  For SQL databases, if AOF is on, you might not be able to do a redirected restore of your database.

Steven_L_
Level 3

Hello pkh,

Hmmm, I have been backing up SQL and Exchange for a long time (years) with AOF Options "on" and am able to perform successfull restores.  Why all of a sudden do I need to disable it after the SP3 upgrade?  

Thanks,

-Steven

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Symantec's recommendation since forever has always been AOF off for database backups.  For SQL, if you are not doing redirected restore, it should be fine.  For Exchange, there are some backups problems due to AOF on.

Steven_L_
Level 3

Hello Pkh,

Not for nothing, but why does it say in my screenshot below from BUE 2010, that the settings apply to all backup selections in the job, including the file system and database selections...?

In this specific backup job I backup Exchange 2010.

Thanks,

-Steven

pkh
   VIP    Certified
AOFO will apply to the entire selection of the job. You should have two jobs, one with AOFO on for your file backups and the other with AOFO off for your database backups

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Steven: If you split off your backups (and I did this...works like a charm!), you might want to read my article below on how I did this: 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Thanks!