Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - Backup to Disk - OPP and APP

Ismaiel
Level 3

Hi,

Simply it is confusing.

This is my need,

1- I need to setup a Diffirential daily backup-to-disk job.

2- The backed up data on the BKF file to be available for 32 days and then gets overwritten.

3- To use one BKF file only.

I have setup the backup file to be 30 GB, which should be more than enough for 32 days of differential data.

4- I want the data on the tape to  be overwritten after 32 days even if there is more empty space on the file before it reaches 30 GB.

Please help to tell me the best way to play with Overwrite PP and Append PP to achieve that.

My thoughts,

If I set the APP to 32 days, the file will not allow more data to be written on it after 32 days.

If I set OPP to 1 days, is it going to start overwritting the file on the 33rd day? Is it going to overwrite the oldest data first or what?

Please help ASAP.

Thanks,

Ismaiel

16 REPLIES 16

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well its not good option to set the maix size of the bkf file to 30 Gb , if you do so the backup would keep apending to the same file and then it would overwrite the backup on the 33rd day . do on the 34th day you just have one backup set as all the other backup file which you had was overwritten .

you shuld try the following

created a backup to disk folder with max size of the bkf file to default i.e 4gb or increase it as per you need . Set the backup to job to append, so you have different bkf file for each backup job you run  so for eg if you run a backup of 20 gb 4 bkf file would be created and you can create a media set with 31 days of opp so on the 32nd day the file would get overwritten . This way each backup set will be there in your backup to disk folder for 32 days . and the old one would get overwritten .

so you can

1,configure the backup job to overwrite when it begins

2.create media set with opp 31 or 32 days  and no app

3.go to tools --option -media management --set the option to overwrte recyclable media 1st

Ismaiel
Level 3

Thanks for your fast reply RahulG,

I do need to have one BKF file ony for Diff backup, I dont mind thaat all the data of the file will be erased in the 32nd day as I would have a full backup then.

I got what you said, best thing to do if I am ok with many BKF files.

So do you confirm that after 32 days pass, the file will be overwritten as I am setting OPP to 1 day?

When does the OPP start? From the last backup job written on the file?

How about the following:

Set APP to 32 days, and set OPP to 32 days, in that case:

First 32 days, File1.BKF will be available for writting, then its data will be protected for another 32 days.

33rd Day, File2.BKF will be created and will be available for until the 64th day.

On 65th day, the OPP will be expired on the File1.BKF and it will start to be overwirtten.

Please tell me your thoughts.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When does the OPP start? From the last backup job written on the file?

OPP and AP starts from the end of the last backup job.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If you have enough disk space then you can set up opp and app to 32 days .but  you might run out of disk space sometime and have to manually set the bkf file to overwrite .

So if disk space is not a concern then you can set that up.

You can increase the size of the bkf file and probably not set the backup job to append . so you have 1 bkf file or each differential job .

Ismaiel
Level 3

AP starts from the end of the last backup? That will be infinite in case of backup to disk.

Question, in the job settings (Device and Media), if I set (When this job begins) to Overwrite Media, and AP is set to Infinite-Allow Append,  when the job start, is it going to overwite the file or append to it? Please consider that it is not a tape, so there will be avialable free space on the file.

This will solve my confusion.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When your job is set to overwrite, the AP does not play a part.  It will overwrite the file if it is overwriteable.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Treat each bkf file as tape, and when you run the backup to backup to disk foler there are many bkf file created.

Ismaiel
Level 3

Ok, is there a way to force backup exec to create a new backup file after 32 days?

What I mean is, I want backup exec to stop using the file after 32 days, so the OPP starts counting down from there.

I can set backup to overwrite after 32 days then, the first file will be protected for 32 days, a new file will be created and used for the second 32 days, then the OPP will be expired on the first file, and it will be overwritten while the second file is counting down for the OPP.

Not sure if we can force it to create anew tape after 32 days or not.

Please advise.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can just set the app as 32 days so it would allow you to append for 32 days and after that it will not allow appending to the same bkf file , and if the backup job does not find any appendable media it will look for overwritable or appendable media acccording to the seeting you you have under tools --options --media management.

When you set opp as 32 days the bkd file cannot be overwritten for 32 days so if you run a job after 33 days it would overwrite the old bkf file for which the opp is over. and so on the cycle continue . Incase if it does not find any overwiteable bkf file it will create a new bkf file.

Ismaiel
Level 3

As per pkh, he said the AP counter starts from the last job, so how can I make it stop using the first bkf file by setting the AP to 32 days? It will never stop writting to it until it reaches to the maximum file size and creates a new file.

Please confirm when AP starts counting.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Pretty much wrong info. Append period will not count from the las write. Will be counted from the time media was first allocated. And OPP will be counted from the time when last write happened to the media.

If you set Append Period to 32 days and OPP to 1 day, till 32 days backup data will be appended to the bkf file and on 33 day it will be overwritten with that days backup.

Ismaiel
Level 3

Can others confirm when AP starts counting please.

In that case, if AP starts counting from the time the media was allocated, I can set the Maximum size for backup-to-disk files to (Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files) ... no matter how big the data is, it will use one file only, and on the day 32nd it will stop using it and will create a new one for the day 33? and if OPP is set to 1 day, it will overwrite the first big file on the day 34?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

AP will be counted from the time media was first allocated.

In that case, if AP starts counting from the time the media was allocated, I can set the Maximum size for backup-to-disk files to (Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files) ... no matter how big the data is, it will use one file only 

No, It will not. Whenever your .bkf file reached allocated size, BE will create new bkf file irrespective of your append period. If you want only one bkf file to be crated for you 32 days differential backups, don't use allocate maximum size option.

EDIT: Refer  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11530

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The Append period starts at the time that a media is first allocated to a media set.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459

When you check the option to "allocate the maximum size for a backup to disk file " Max size of backup to disk files "

here the discription form the Admin guide

=====================

Creates the backup-to-disk file at the maximum size to reduce disk fragmentation.

You may want to increase the append period. However, increased append periods can cause an increase in the overall overwrite protection period since the overwrite protection period starts at the end of the last append job. This can result in fewer backup jobs being targeted to this backup-to-disk folder. To avoid this, set the maximum size for backup-to-disk files to an appropriate size.

When the backup-to-disk file is initially created at the maximum size, the backup job may be delayed while Backup Exec creates the file. The backup job remains in a running state until the backup-to-disk file is created and data can be written to it.

When you select this option, Backup Exec hides the option Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file. As a result, all of the space that is allocated to the backup-to-disk file is used.

This option is not available for a removable backup-to-disk folder.

==================================

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hmm OK we need to clarify a few things as there are some correct answers and some incorrect ones in amongst this thread

1) The Append Period starts when the BKF file is first created (or when it is overwritten). Once this period has started it does not move (so the end date/time does not change) no matter how many appends are written into the same file. (Sorry pkh but one of your answers was therefore slightly wrong because of this)

2) The Overwrite Protection period starts at the end of the last job to write data into the BKF file. As such as you run more append jobs this period will move and reset itself so that the end of this period is always based on the tinme of the last data write + the overwrite protection setting.

3) If you set a 32 day append period and a 1 Day overwrite (as mentioned in the first post) then assuming your append backups do all run for 32 days, the BKF file will become overwritable 33days + The time taken for your last differential job. So if you are not careful on the 33rd day a new BKF file will be created and the existing one will become overwritable a couple of hours or so later - but then not actually get used until another job needs overwritable media (which could be another 32 days away if you only run the described set of jobs)

4) If you set 32 day append and 1 day overwrite, but for some reason some of the later differential jobs don't run then the BKF file will be overwritable earlier (although will remain appendable as well)

5) Similarly if you set Append period to 32 days and overwrite protection to 32 days then assuming your differentials do all append for the first 32 days then it will be 64days + the time taken for the last job before it is overwritable. And yes a second BKF file would be created on the 33rd day.

6) because  of points 3 and 5 you want to make the sum of the Append and Overwrite Protection settings to be and hour or two smaller than difference between the number of days between overwrites  and how long your differential backup jobs run.

5) When an overwrite occurs - it overwrites the whole BKF file it's doesn't start with overwriting the oldest data - if you want to overwrite ONLY the oldest data you would have to reconsider your 1 BKF file plan and go back to 1 BKF file per day/job

6) We don't recommend appending to BKF/B2D destinations for ever as this creates an infinitely large media famiily which can cause catalog problems. Which is why we usually recommend starting all backup to disk jobs as overwrite and have separate BKF files.  However you are not trying to append for ever you just want to append for 32 days - that said I would still be concerned about your plan as if you let Backup Exec make one BKF file for each backup and one file is corrupted then you will only lose one day's data however if you have it all write to one BKF file and that file corrupts then you lose everything.

Unfortunately you don't say if your full backup will write to the same backup to disk folder or how long you keep your full backups for. You also don't say if other jobs run in the environment. This kind iof makes it difficult to answer you question fully. However I will make some assumptions to answer your orignal question.  (Although like others I would not recommend your idea as a good solution)

Assumption 1 - Only the differential backup jobs write to this backup to Disk Folder, all other backups write to tape or to a different backup to disk folder

Assumption 2 - You want to overwrite the BKF file when the job starts on 33rd day

Accepting the above assumptions

- Set your media set to 32 days Append and 0 Hours (or maybe 12 Hours) Overwrite Protection. Note: The reason you can get away with 0 Hours is Assumption 1 - no other jobs write to the folder and becasue the job starts as an Append (below)

- Set your differential job to start as an Append with Overwrite if appendable media is not available and to use the above media set.  (you need the Ovewrite option if no appendable to trigger the overwrite on 33rd day)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

APP starts from the first data written to the media (Tape or BKF file)

OPP starts from the last data written

Also remember that all BKF files in an "append family" share the same OPP, which  is reset each time the last one is closed

For B2D jkobs I recommend all Overwrite jobs, since if you have a 32 day APP and a 32 day, adn write to it for al 32 days, then it will not be overwriteable until 64 days after the first job