cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Become Very slow rate job after Windows Update

rogergarcia
Level 3

This is my third thread for the same problem in the same server, everytime that i make Windows Update, The job to Backup Mailbox Databases become very Slow.

I have a server with 2008 R2 with backup exec 2010 R3 installed and four Hyper-V servers, CAS-HUB server, Mailbox Server, Blackberry Server and a DC server.

i have two Backup job, one for Mailboxes Databases, and othet for the four Hyper-V, Mailboxes job run in the morning, and Hyper-V job run at night.

Normally Mailbox job run between 5 and 6 hours, between 2600 and 3000 MB/s job rate for 600 GB of data.

The other Job run between 5 and 6 hours, Between 3000 to 4000 MB/s for 900 GB of data.

Everytime that i make Windows Update on the Phisical Server, the Mailbox job become very slow between 500 and 600 MB/s and it take between 19 to 20 Hours, i search in several forums, blog, tech support guides, and there isn´t solution for my case.

The Jod to Backup Hyper-V dont have any problem, run normally.

is OK is this occurs one or two times, but is everytime, i decided install Windows Update in the phisical server every four month, but this isn´t a correct security police in the company, my only solution when this happend is uninstall-reinstall the Backup exec Server, but i make the windows update last week-end, and i Unnistall-Reinstall 3 times and the problema continue.

This time Unnistall-Reinstall dont solve my problem, and when i did this, i have to restat the server, wich i do early in the morning when nobody is using the email service.

I dont know what else to do, Symantec support dont give any solution about this topic.

If any body can help, the Backup is over LTO 4 tapes, Drivers are update, Backup Exec 2010 R3 full patches. The Mailbox is exchange 2010.

7 REPLIES 7

rogergarcia
Level 3

Here you can see, the difference between Jobs, the mailbox jobs normally run over 2600/3000 MB/s, now between 500/550 Mb/s

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...where is Backup Exec installed? On 1 of the hosts, or a stand-alone server? Does the Exchange server get updated at the same time as the host? are there any restart requirements on the servers after being updated?

Thanks!

rogergarcia
Level 3

Backup Exec is installed in the phisical server that host the Hyper-V servers,  the Exchange Server doesn´t get the windows update at the same time, i configure to do not install update automaticly.

The Phisical server is configure to don´t install automaticly, i acumulated three o four month of updates, and them apply it.

At this moment i update the Exchange Server too, to see if the problem solved but nothing yet.

This morning i Unnistall-Reinstall again Backup Exec, after update TAPE drivers with symantec drivers again, but the problem continue. the tape drive is clean.

Meindert
Level 3

I have noticed this issue with BE20110sp3 combined with (backups of) servers with databases (SQL, Exchange) and/or Active Directory, usually in combination with deduplication. After a long analysis, logging and such, I noticed that the BE server had rather long wait periods, in which it would wait for responses from the client. Some further googling led me to the culprit: Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection. You would expect them to know how to get the exclusions right on their own anti virus software, but forget it. The on-access scan engine slows backups to a crawl. 

The following article finally put me on the right path:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66909&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1318380358919

Solution

Add the following exclusions to your antivirus. I found that it works for FEP, but it might well also work for Sophos, NOD32, Norman, Panda, F-Secure, Kaspersky, Symantec and others. 

Add Low Risk Processes policies and exclusions for Backup Exec.

Step 1 - Add exclusions to AV on your Backup Exec Server

1. Open your antivirus scanner and go to the Exclusions part of the settings.
  2. Add exclusions for the following processes:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe 
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe 
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe 
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\benetns.exe  
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pvlsvr.exe 
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BkUpexec.exe

NOTE: Change the path as appropriate, depending on which root volume the Media Server or Remote Agent has been installed to.

Step 2 - Exclude Backup Exec paths from scanning

1. Open your antivirus scanner and add the following path to the Exclusions (including subfolders):

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Backup Exec\

When configuring your settings, keep your eye open for other settings that could complement the exclusions. For example, McAfee has an option to ignore files that are opened for backup.

Step 3 - Add exclusions based on the used product

Active Directory, Exchange, SQL - they all have their own required exclusions. Configure these exclusions using the following articles:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66909&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1318380358919

Once you've set these, there's a good chance things will improve drastically.

Symantec, you would do well to make a dedicated article explaining what exclusions to add - not just for your own products, but also other products that BackupExec has to work with. 

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Roger are you backing up exchange data using agent for exchange or are you backing up data using hyper v agent I.e vhds...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...this query is over 5 months old and effectively dead. No response from the OP.

Thanks!

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Oh thanks I didnt see that...I am logged on my cell phone so its shows me as post unread in latest one..thanks craig...I would have kept on opening it again again thinking would get a reply...