cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Compacity Edition Crashing Network

Newellnet
Level 3

We are running two MS 2012 Standard Servers.  The main server is hosting Backup Exec as well as two Virtual Servers.   The second server is a dedicated SQL 2014 server.

We can backup the main server including the virtual servers with no issue at all but when we try to back up the SQL server using the Agent it crashed/locks the network up.   We cannot ping either server from the workstations allthough the servers appear to be operating.   To get the servers running again all we have to do is unplug the servers network cables and plug them back in.

The servers appear to be running excellent with very good speed.   The only time we experience any problem is when we run the backup.   It has failed 100% of the time.

We did a test backup today and it got to about 508GB before it crashed.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Tim

9 REPLIES 9

lmosla
Level 6

What are the errors in Windows Event Viewer?  

Refer to this KM:   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH203118

Newellnet
Level 3

There is nothing in the event viewer in either System or Application regarding this, there are no errors at all.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Separate your file backup from your SQL Server backup and try again.

Newellnet
Level 3
Yes, that has been done. This happens only during the SQL backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you update BE to the latest update?

Push out the remote agent and try again.

If you have turn on AOF in your SQL backup job, turn it off.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Does this issue occur when you take a backup using the native SQL backup utility ?

Newellnet
Level 3

The version running;

Backup Exec Server:  Version 14.2 Rev. 1180 (64-Bit)
Administrative Console: Version 14.2 Rev. 1180.0 (64-Bit)

I am currently downloading and installing Feature Pack 1,  we will see if that makes a difference.

VJware,  I am not sure what you mean by Native SQL Backup Utility.   The problem only happens when backing up using the agent across the network.   Simply unplugging the network cable on the main file server that is running the core BE.  It has an 100% failure rate.  To the best of my knowledge fails at different times during the backup.

The local backup of the Main file server which includes 2 VMware servers (2012R2 running Exchange, and 2008R2 running SQL) has worked perfectly.

We are running HP 1920 Switches.

The servers are HP Proliant DL380 Gen9 (777339‑S01).

I can run a MS Backup to a USB hard drive with no issue as well.

Newellnet
Level 3

PKH - I am sorry for the stupid question but I want to be sure I am doing what you suggest.  To turn off AOF I need uncheck "Use snapshot technolgy"?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes