cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Console will not connect after installing November 2016 Windows Updates

criley
Employee Accredited

Please be aware of the following issue that has recently been discovered:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000116721

Error message:

BackupExec Management Service was unable to start. Connection open and login was successful, but then an error occurred while enabling MARS for this connection. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 15 - Function not supported)

The article above will be updated as more information becomes available.

Update:

The Microsoft updates that have caused this issue are listed as OPTIONAL in Windows Update.

The only workaround currently recommend by Veritas is to remove the Windows Updates that are listed in the above article.

17 REPLIES 17

V_Golinski
Level 3
The Problem still exists, although updates were uninstalled

criley
Employee Accredited

Have you rebooted the server?

If yes, I would recommend that you open a support case.

Yes, server was last night rebooted. I thougt, someone has the same problem and has already opened a case...

Same problem here, case is open @ veritas but they don't really care it seems.

criley
Employee Accredited

@midas_f

Can you give me your case number please? I will look into it for you.

Then I will open no new case, but wait for what with you will happen...

21747937 is the case number @criley

criley
Employee Accredited

@midas_f

Thanks, I can see that this case was opened less than 2 hours ago.

I will make the assigned engineer aware of the fact that you need a call back as soon as possible.

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hi,
i had the same Problems with update KB3195387.

Please check all your installed updates at the specific day you installed KB3195387.
KB3195387 installed about 5-6 single updates and i removed all of them.

I installed at 18.11 and had 5-6 updates at this day, so i uninstalled all updates from 18.11
BE15 is working fine now.

@JuergenBDanke für den Vorschlag, aber KB3195387 war gar nicht auf unserem Server. Hatte aber auch schon mit dem Gedanken gespielt, alle Updates seit  dem 17.11. zu deinstallieren. Werde es heute Abend mal versuchen.

Der Support hatte vorgeschlagen, .NET zu deinstallieren, aber da hängen zu viele Features und Rollen dran, die gleichzeitig mit deinstalliert werden müssten, also leider auch keine Lösung...

JuergenB
   VIP   

War bei mir ähnlich,

ich hab das 3195387 deinstalliert und dann lief´s immer noch nicht.
Erst nachdem ich alle Updates vom 18.11 deinstalliert habe, lief es wieder.

werde es heute Abend versuchen. Wenn es erfolgreich war, melde ich mich wieder....

Einfach bei MS SQL Protokollen Shared Memory disabled und Named Pipes + TCP/IP enabled

Das ist nicht fundiert - funktioniert aber.

Der Support rät an.net herumzufummeln - das war mir auf einem DC zu heiß.

Die Updates deinstallieren war bei mir erfolgreich. Zugriff auf Konsole klappt wieder...

Thank you so much ingo-sftg.

I add the same problem on a fresh install BE 15 in replacement of Arcserve on a DC. BE did not start and i was unable to remove any KB.

By changing SQL configuration to Shared Memory disable and Named pipes and TCP/IP enabled, and restart SQL and all BE services, my BE console now start and I can planify my new backup job.

Hope this can help other.

Stéphane

jrb2805
Level 1

Update - 12/20/2016

The below issue is resolved by following the Solution directions for the appropriate Operating System/.NET combination linked in this article: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000116721

Thanks to Veritas support for being quick to reply to my ticket!

----------

Today found that Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 KB3210137, released this week, causes this bug on Backup Exec 15, version 14.2 Rev. 1180. The update is part of rollup KB3205404. You will see KB3205404 in Windows Update before it is installed, but it will install as KB3210137 on Server 2012 R2 x64.

KB3205404: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3205404

KB3210137: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3210137

Put in a ticket with Veritas as well with some more information.

This is issue with Micrsoft update, veritas confirmend it. If you contact Micrsoft they are saying it is a optional update. It recommed to not to perform that update.