cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Database Size

jeff_j
Level 3

Hello I am having problems with my backup exec database BEDB_dat.mdf. The database keeps growing in size and reaching its 4GB cap. I am able to go into SQL manager and run commands:

use BEDB 
truncate TABLE BElog
select Count(*) from BElog
DBCC SHRINKDATABASE (BEDB,5)

From website: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH201551

Once I run that query the database will shrink down to about 100MB. After about a week and a half it will be back up to 4GB. I checked event viewer and I am not seeing any failed database maintance errors until the database reached 4GB then I will start to see the error. Attached is a screen shot of the setting for the database maintance.  

Backup exec 2012 SP3 currently backs up 18 servers, runs on Server 2008 R2 and I B2D and use no tape.

DB Maint.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jeff_j
Level 3

Hello, I hope evertone had a nice holiday weekend. I checked the size of the BEDB_dat.mdf and the size went from 1.9GB on Wednesday to 300 Megs today. I am thinking that SP3 was the fix, but why it took so long for the size to come down is a mistry to me.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

are you getting any alerts about the database maintenace failing?

Also, have you ran a repair on the Backup Exec database? to do so, stop all Backup Exec Services with SQL and then perfrom a manual repair and maintainance of the BEDB

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67239

jeff_j
Level 3

I am getting an alert in backup exec once the database has reached 4GB. I also tried repairing the database using the beutitility.exe, but I will try again.

nik263
Level 3

contact support!

they will run few other query which should help in removing the logs from database.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In BE 2012 the tabels relating to alarms/alerts in the database can cause a filling up issue. A formal support case with tech support can help with this

Backup Exec 2012 SP3 (just released) does reduce the number of alerts that get stored in the BEDB - however we have heard that there is a potential "Catch-22" where if the database is completely full, SP3 has a problem installing (whilst trying to run scripts within SQL)

jeff_j
Level 3

Colin,

I assuming you mean BE 2012 and not Windows 2012 SP3. When I did install SP3 for backup exec the database size was aroun 1.5 GB.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Oops yes I did mean BE 2012 SP3 (and have corrected it)

If your database grew from 1.5GB to max out the size in the week or so that SP3 has been available then there is something wrong - please log a formal support case.

jeff_j
Level 3

Since I have installed SP3 the database has grown from 1.5GB when it was installed to 1.9GB in three days. I am going to let it run over Thanksgiving weekend, and see what the size is on Monday. I am hoping that SP3 will solve the problem.

jeff_j
Level 3

Hello, I hope evertone had a nice holiday weekend. I checked the size of the BEDB_dat.mdf and the size went from 1.9GB on Wednesday to 300 Megs today. I am thinking that SP3 was the fix, but why it took so long for the size to come down is a mistry to me.