cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Deduplication Engine Service fails to start and displays the following error : Error 1 : Incorrect Function

David_Jerwood1
Level 3

We currently run all of our backups to a deduplication backup folder, we were having issues with reclaiming space back from the folder correctly. One of our  engineers here working on the case incorrectly deleted lots of old files (.bin, .bhd and .bak) from D:\BackupExecDeduplicationStorageFolder\data\ now the Backup Exec Deduplication Engine Service fails to start and displays the following error : Error 1 : Incorrect Function. The following errors appear when running a spoold.log "D:\BackupExecDeduplicationStorageFolder\data\2321.bhd.tmp (The system cannot find the file specified. ).
July 13 20:45:51 ERR [0000000000F28970]: 25002:" I know I could delete the deduplication folder and start from scratch but I am dont really want to loose the last 2 weeks backup data. Is there anything I can run, to get the deduplication folder to repopulate and catalogue the data is does still have?

If anyone can offer any help or assistance it would be very much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

create a tech support case and PM me the case number.

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

For future reference, we want to make sure that the BHD and BIN files are kept away from anti-virus scans and hard drive indexing software.

This and sticky fingers deleting files can cause the Deduplication Engine from starting up correctly.