cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Device & Media Service wont start

Level 2
I have installed and reinstalled Veritas 9.1. All dependency services are running under the device and media service. When I try and start it i get error 1065: database doesn't exist. With event id 7023: The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service terminated with the following error: The database specified does not exist.
I ran MDAC Component Checker and the OLEDB32.DLL is current no mismatch. Al so installed SQLSRV SP3 to no avail. Is there any other reasons why I can’t get the service to start?
5 REPLIES 5

Level 2
I also tried all the ideas from http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=101&threadID=39373&messageID=4337038?
but none of them worked. When I tried to recover database got an error saying it didnt exist.

Varsha
Level 6
The error "The database specified does not exist" usually occurs due to mismatched versions of Microsoft Data Access Client (MDAC).

To resolve the issue, run Component Checker and check for any differences between their current MDAC configuration and a clean MDAC installation.

If any files differences are found then repace it with the appropriate version and then verify the results.

In addition refer the following link:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265051.htm

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

You may also try repairing the BE database.

Follow the steps below to repair the Backup Exec database:
1. Open BEUTILITY (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT)

2. Add the Media server a. Right click on All Media Servers and choose "Add Media Server"

3. Right click on the media server and stop the services .

4. In C:\Program Files\VERITAS\BACKUP Exec\NT\Data copy the BEDB_DAT.MDF 5. In BEUTILITY Right click on the media server name and choose "Repair Database"

After completion of Repair Database process, ensure that all the services are started and you can perform an error free backup.

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
Please let us know if the issue remains unresolved.

Dylan
Not applicable
I'm getting that same error when the services try to automatically start during startup. Once the server is up, I can manual start the services fine. I tried using the recovery options of the service, to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.