cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Device & Media Service won´t start just after a new Installation

Dennis_S
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a big Problem with the Backup Exec 11d Installation. I installed the Software on a Windows 2003 Server and it does not start.
In the Error Log I have found the following error:
------------------
Event ID: 7024

The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service terminated with service-specific error 536928979 (0x2000E2D3).
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
------------------

After searching the internet about this error, I reinstalled the complete Software.
-> No effect, just not working.

Next I tried the BEUtility and tried a Database Check.  -> ended with errors.

So my next thougth was that there is a problem in the BEDB configuration. So I checked the Registry Key for the BEDB database and found out, that there was no entry.
So I copied the entry from a working installation and changed the BEDB Server name to the local machine.

-> Doesn´t work either...

Next I tried to recover the Database using the BEUtility Application. There I found the repeating Error message:
---
Error connecting to master database: hr = 0x8007007e
OS ERROR: 0x8007007e (-2147024770)
---

That´s where I stand now.

Any Help/Ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Dennis

----- Complete dbrecover.log output.

Code:
Backup Exec Database Recovery04/03/08 08:04:16-----------------------------Initializing...BEGetComputerName = 'DHSERVER'GetBeVirtualServerName = ''Using node name for media serverData for BE database:Structure size: 6500Media Server  : DHSERVERNode, if clust: SQL Server    : DHSERVERInstance Name : BkupExecSQL Instance  : DHSERVER\BkupExecSQL Service   : MSSQL$BkupExecDatabase      : BEDBApp Data Path : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\DataDatabase Path : Database Log  : Database File : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdfDatabase Log  : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldfBackup File   : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB.bakBase File     : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.bakBase Log File : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.bakIs Local      : TRUEIsDatabaseMgr : TRUERecover database using best method..OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=DHSERVER\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x8007007eError connecting to master database: hr = 0x8007007eOS ERROR: 0x8007007e (-2147024770)Status of database BEDB is unknownFixing up any database linkage problems for 'BEDB'Execute command: declare @@stemp as varchar(32)select @@stemp = isnull(convert(varchar,databasepropertyex('BEDB','status')),'NOT EXIST')print 'Database status: ' + @@stempif @@stemp <> 'ONLINE' and @@stemp <> 'NOT EXIST'beginprint 'Forcing database detach'EXEC sp_detach_db 'BEDB'endOpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=DHSERVER\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x8007007eError connecting to master database: hr = 0x8007007eExecute command failed: 0x8007007eOpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=DHSERVER\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x8007007eError connecting to master database: hr = 0x8007007eOS ERROR: 0x8007007e (-2147024770)Status of database BEDB is unknownFile Exist Check: \\DHSERVER\D$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdfFile Exist: TRUEFile Exist Check: \\DHSERVER\D$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldfFile Exist: TRUEAttach database BEDBFile Exist Check: \\DHSERVER\D$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdfFile Exist: TRUEFile Exist Check: \\DHSERVER\D$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldfFile Exist: TRUEExecute command: sp_attach_db 'BEDB','D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf','D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldf'OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=DHSERVER\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x8007007eError connecting to master database: hr = 0x8007007eExecute command failed: 0x8007007eOS ERROR: 0x8007007e (-2147024770)Deinitialize...-----------------------------Process completed04/03/08 08:04:16Status: DBU_ERROR_DATABASE_ATTACH_FAILED-----------------------------

1 REPLY 1

Greg_Meister
Level 6
In order to resolve database connection issues with Backup Exec connecting to its SQL MSDE instance, the SQL ODBC connectors may need to be replaced. This may be as simple as reapplying the current Service Pack to the current installation and rebooting the media server when complete.