cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Device and media service is stuck in starting state

Andrewjava7
Level 3

Hi All,

I just installed Backup Exec 15 on a windows 2012 server. Installation went successfully and I've rebooted the server and when I click the backup exec icon and start the application it says that atleast on service is stopped.

I clicked on the Manage services and only two services were running and I clicked on Start all services and started it and Device and Media service is stuck on the starting state.

Any Suggessions?? By the way I'm running all the services locally and it is a stand alone server.

Thanks in advance

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check the TN below then and make sure each of your services are started up with the correct account:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH67215

Full SQL is fine for the BEDB.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE is designed to run on a server which is part of a domain.  You can have the media server in a workgroup, but you would encounter a lot of problems with your backups due to lack of permissions.

All the BE services must run under a domain admin account, except for the BE remote agent service which is run under a local admin account.

Your best bet is to include the media server in a domain and run the BE services using a domain admin account.  See the document below for the rights required by the BESA.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000028683

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Larry, the backup exec is just now installed and I ve not been able to successfully log into the backup exec and hence no storage is created or added at this point

I would use the BE Service manager (servicesmgr.exe, or another method) to set the BE services to manual.  This allows you to torubleshoot BE separate from the server booting.

Once the server is booted and BE services are stell stopped:

• check Windows Device Manager for any issues
  • start SGmon.exe and enable logging for pvlsvr
  • start tracer.exe and enable logging
  • Use BE Service manager to start the BE services
  • Look for errors or issues in SGmon or tracer

You may need to open a tech support case for full log analysis.

Since this is a fresh install, maybe it is just that something wonky happened during the install, so you may want to try and un-install, reboot and re-install of BE

For the issue you see, I don't think that the servioce account matters.  Using a domain account is certainly the best way to go when you want the BE server to interact with other servers, but it isn't needed to get services started locally.

Even if things (sources/targets) aren't configured in BE yet, the Device and Media Service does some exploring of your server to see what devices are out there.  What are your intended backup destinations?  If you have anything "optional" connected, you may want to disconnect it during troubleshooting to help isolate issues.

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV

Hi,

All the services do run locally...do you not mean SQL Express is being used to run the BE Database (BEDB)?

Or do you mean you're using a local account to run the services? Best practice is to use a domain admin account if AD is present, so if this is the case, start by changing the BE services to an account with the correct rights using beutility.exe. Read below:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH36718

Also make sure that any antivirus installed isn't actively scanning the BE services, and if so, put in exclusions for them. Lastly...make sure the SQL service for BE is started.

Thanks!

Andrewjava7
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Actually the installation of backup exec was initially getting failed with SQL, hence installed SQL 2012 and created a new instance BKUPEXEC and made a custom installation of backup Exec using that installation.

After that the installation went fine and now I'm caught at a situation where I'm unable to see the Device and Media service getting stuck at starting state.

SQL service is also running locally and all the Backup Exec services are also running locally as I dont need to backup any remote machines.

No Antivirus is installed on this server.

Thanks

CraigV

Check the TN below then and make sure each of your services are started up with the correct account:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH67215

Full SQL is fine for the BEDB.

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

For issues with the Device and Media service, the first troubleshooting thing that comes to mind is to reboot the server.

What will you be putting your backups on, disk, tape, etc?  Are those connected and showing properly in Windows Device manager?

Andrewjava7
Level 3

Craig, the services are running locally with the local administrator account as this server is not part of any domain.

Larry, the backup exec is just now installed and I ve not been able to successfully log into the backup exec and hence no storage is created or added at this point

Any suggessions?? No event IDs triggered as it is still on the starting state. Unable to kill from the task manager as well, I just reboot the server when it get stuck and after the reboot it goes to stopped state.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE is designed to run on a server which is part of a domain.  You can have the media server in a workgroup, but you would encounter a lot of problems with your backups due to lack of permissions.

All the BE services must run under a domain admin account, except for the BE remote agent service which is run under a local admin account.

Your best bet is to include the media server in a domain and run the BE services using a domain admin account.  See the document below for the rights required by the BESA.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000028683

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I would use the BE Service manager (servicesmgr.exe, or another method) to set the BE services to manual.  This allows you to torubleshoot BE separate from the server booting.

Once the server is booted and BE services are stell stopped:

• check Windows Device Manager for any issues
  • start SGmon.exe and enable logging for pvlsvr
  • start tracer.exe and enable logging
  • Use BE Service manager to start the BE services
  • Look for errors or issues in SGmon or tracer

You may need to open a tech support case for full log analysis.

Since this is a fresh install, maybe it is just that something wonky happened during the install, so you may want to try and un-install, reboot and re-install of BE

For the issue you see, I don't think that the servioce account matters.  Using a domain account is certainly the best way to go when you want the BE server to interact with other servers, but it isn't needed to get services started locally.

Even if things (sources/targets) aren't configured in BE yet, the Device and Media Service does some exploring of your server to see what devices are out there.  What are your intended backup destinations?  If you have anything "optional" connected, you may want to disconnect it during troubleshooting to help isolate issues.

Andrewjava7
Level 3

Hi, I've attached the SGmon log and dbrecover log please advice.

Currently I dont have any storage attached, I'm planning to use the D: drive for the storage

Andrewjava7
Level 3

DBrecover attached

CraigV

Nothing is attached Andrew...