cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Enterprise Vault agent not recognizing new EV Directory/Site server after migration

Brian_B2
Level 3

I followed Symantec's technotes and used the Enterprise Vault Server Migration tool to move our EV server to new hardware. Everything went pretty much perfectly using the migration utility until it came time to backup the vault stores/indexes on the new server. Our Backup Exec CASO server--I think-- is still trying to go to the old EV directory/site server and of course failing out with "browse failure" communication errors ("Enterprise Vault services are not responding to commands sent by Backup Exec; ensure that Enterprise Vault directory service is running").

I've tried restarting the services on the EV SQL server, the EV Directory/Site server and the primary Backup Exec CASO server, but nothing seems to be working.

Does anyone have ideas or thoughts? I can't even really seem to find any event viewer errors on any of the three involved servers.

Thank you very much for any advice or insight.

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try these steps:-

Remove the EV resource entry from the Backup & Restore tab. (Doing so will remove the associated backup jobs and job logs/history).

On the EV server, rename the existing EVbackup.xml file (usually found under EV installation dir\Reports)

Restart the EV Admin service and the Remote Agent service

Re-add the EV resource entry on the BE server and restart all BE services.

IF the above doesnt help, then would recommend to log a formal support case as further steps would probably involve editing the DB.

Brian_B2
Level 3

Thank you very much for the quick reply, VJware. I believe I've got it working now, but I did not need to resort to removing the backup set resources or rebuilding the xml agent file on the EV server.

Evidently, restarting the services on the appropriate EV and BE servers was enough, and I simply needed to run a new full backup. When I was trying to navigate the selection details and getting the communications error, BE must've been trying to navigate to the old EV server because that's the backup set resources it was aware of. Running a full backup against the new EV server has populated the new, correct backup set resources and allows browsing of the selection details in the job.