cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec GRT Not Working Correctly

johnny55
Level 3

Hello,

I'm trying to backup SQL databases on a Windows 2012 R2 server box that is running on VMware 5.1 but run into job exceptions every time. The exceptions are below. The VM itself is backed up so I can do full disk restores but none of the SQL databases are backing up. Credentials test successfully on this box so I'm not sure what else to check to resolve this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

V-79-57344-38727 - Backup Exec was unable to collect the necessary metadata for virtual machine   to...

19 REPLIES 19

lmosla
Level 6

A few reasons this can occur if any of the databases dismounted, if the remote agent is not installed on the virtual machine, or if the remote agent service is stopped  

Edited:  adding https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.howto74443.html

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Does the BE account have "sa" / "sysadmin" rights to the SQL DBs ?

johnny55
Level 3

The remote agent is installed but it won't start up. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the agent but I receive the following error when I try to start the service. "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." I did a manual install on the server this tme rather than pushing the agent out, any suggestions on what I could try next? Thank you.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should check the eventlog to see what are the error messages pertaining to the BE remote agent service.

johnny55
Level 3

Event ID 7009 A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Symantec VSS Provider service to connect.

Event ID 7000 The Symantec VSS Provider service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

johnny55
Level 3

I've disabling on-access scanning in Sophos and uninstalled/reinstalled the agent but am still running into the same error messages.

lmosla
Level 6

try rebooting the server.Rebooting often clears up these types of errors 

VJware
Level 6

Would you attach or PM the entire Application and System event logs from the affected VM ? Thanks.

johnny55
Level 3

PM sent.

johnny55
Level 3

The system was rebooted after every agent uninstall/reinstall.

VJware
Level 6

Here are couple of errors from the Application Event logs -

Event ID 57860 - Login failed for user 'TASERNET\adminvmware'.

Event ID 18456 - TASERNET\adminvmware
 Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided.

Using SQL Management Studio, add this account to Security - Logins. And ensure this account has been provided "sysadmin" rights. Once done, retry the backup.

johnny55
Level 3

This account is used to access the VM but not SQL. How can I select a different account for GRT?

VJware
Level 6

Cannot set different account for GRT. The BE account which is used to access the VM should have application-specific permissions as well.

johnny55
Level 3

Thank you VJware, we'll work on our account to get that taken care of. There is one other backup giving us "Success with Exceptions" messages. I've included the messages below, this one is a physical machine.

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "C:". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume S...V-79-10000-11223 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot technology that you s...- The snapshot provider that you selected does not support the volume that you are trying to snap. T... -A disk with a size greater than 63 terabytes or a 4K sector disk may exist on your computer. These...

Backup Set Detail Information
Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\config\interchk.chk -...Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\System Volume Information\Syscache.hve - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\System Volume Information\Syscache.hve.LOG1 - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\System Volume Information\Syscache.hve.LOG2 - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\lastali...Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\lastali...Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\5051-US-MEDA\C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM - skipped.

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "E:". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume S...V-79-10000-11223 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot technology that you s...- The snapshot provider that you selected does not support the volume that you are trying to snap. T... -A disk with a size greater than 63 terabytes or a 4K sector disk may exist on your computer. These...

VJware
Level 6

Is there actually a disk connected which is either larger than 63TB or using 4K sector size ? And what's the OS of this system ?

johnny55
Level 3

The disk is less than 300GB and is using 512b sectors. The OS is Windows 2008 R2.

VJware
Level 6

Was / Is there any USB attached to this system ?

johnny55
Level 3

There is a KVM attached to this system that uses a USB connection.

VJware
Level 6

Pls attach or PM the complete job log. Thanks.