cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Hanging

Vdang
Level 4

Hello,

I have been having issues with Backup Exec as of late where it appears to go into this hanging mode and would run for hours while backing up Virtual machines. I had check our tape library to see if the drive were writing any data and from what I found out they were all idle.

Now we did not have this issue prior to updating to feature pack 5 and installing hotfix 115844 amd 116031. Furthmore, from what I understand feature pack 5 was suppose to resolve an issues with backing up Virtual machine that would cause it to hang which I had included the links below.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000100816
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000111369

Lastly, according to the second article that I have provided it made mention of a delay catalog feature and for some reason it just disappear from our option menu. What I mean disappear is it was there and now its gone. I have check our other media server and I am able to see it.

Delay Catalog Missing.JPG

5 REPLIES 5

Vdang
Level 4

I would also like to add the virtual machine that I am backing up does not have GRT enable by default. Therefore, as you can see from the previous image with the option "enable instant GRT" is something that I have not seen before prior to this issue.

DanChan
Level 3

The "delay catalog" feature was renamed in FP5. It is addressed in " What's new in Backup Exec 15 Feature Pack 5" as shown in the screenshop. You can open What's new dialogue in the BE UI (Backup Exec icon | Help and Documentation | What's new.) 

Hello Dan,

As you can see I have feature pack 5 installed along with 2 hotfix on our other media server and it has not been renamed to instant GRT. 
Feature Pack 5.JPG

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Push out the remote agent to the affected VM's, reboot the VM's and try again.

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

You also may want to look at the vCenter or ESXi activity. See if it's taking a long time to remove the snapshot from a VM. Try separating your VMs to see if there's a specific VM that's causing the problem.