cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-Exec Instant Recovery error, while restore of a VM (Error: 0xe0009645 and V-79-57344-38469)

DanielCapilla
Level 4

Hello together.

Problem:
Instant recovery of a VM with more virtual CPUs than the destination host offers fails.

Description:
Well, it's logical, that a VM can't be restored to a host with less CPUs, but how
may I change the "backup-sets" CPUs, to be able to restore the VM to a "Desaster-Recovery-Host"
with less CPUs (backuped VM has 8 cores, DR-Host has 6 cores)?

Regards
Daniel

1.png2.png

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry but that's a hypervisor limitation in that you cannot create a VM with more CPUs than the host supports and Backup Exec uses the metadata about the state of the VM that was backed up to try to create the VM during the restore process - so it knows how many CPUs were in the original VM. There is no way to adjust this for a restore and really you should at least have the same level of hardware for your DR hosts as were present in the production hosts.

Thank you for your reply.

So we have to reduce the cores on HV side, do IR restore-tests on/to the HV host 
or do regular test-restores and configure the VM settings manual (via VHD-restore).

I had the wish, that I may influece the HV config-creation in any way (maybe in a future version).
As mentioned, restoring the VHDs and creating a new VM with less CPUs works - 
if i'm not totally wrong.