cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Job Engine Stops

Charlotte_Hinto
Level 3
Hello,

Can anyone offer any advise please? Our backup exec job engine has just recently stopped itself after a backup has completed. Therefore having to go in manually each morning and starting the services.

Does anyone know a fix for this please?

Thanks in advance.
13 REPLIES 13

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Since the job engine stops please perform a repair install and then verify the result
Please see the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

Also please check whether there are any errors in the event viewer.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Charlotte_Hinto
Level 3
Hi there

Thanks for the advice, I tried this last week, but it was unsuccessful as the job engine still stops after the backup job has run.

Do you have any other suggestions?

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Not a real solution but you could try to use the Recovery option for the service to let it restart when it fails.

Regards
A van der Boom

Charlotte_Hinto
Level 3
Hi there

Thanks for the advice, but it doesn't seemed to have worked. Do you think that the new SP4A might help solve this problem?

T_J
Level 2
My first questions in this scenario are wheter the backup actually completes, and what is being backed up.
There are many things that can kill the engine. One esoteric thing is a particular agent during the backup. I have seen Sql and Exchange backups kill the engine.
What are you backing up? Have you tried taking a specific backup of different components in your backup to see if there is one item in particular that knocks the engine down?
Tony

Charlotte_Hinto
Level 3
Yes it is successful when it backup - we are backing up data and email. Although the area within exchange that fails the backup isn't being backed up - for that reason. Haven't tried the process of elmination - thought I'd ask around first to see if there was an easier answer, as it's something that has only recently started happening, like over the past 2 months.

Michael_Hanscho
Level 2
Hi!

Try to disable
"Display progress indicators for backup jobs" in

Tools/Options/Preferences

Disabling this setting solved the problem for me.

Gruesse
Michael

Charlotte_Hinto
Level 3
Hello,

Thanks for your advice on this - checked the system today, but this preference is already disabled!

Can anyone else offer any suggestions?

Thanks
Charlotte

steve_clark_2
Not applicable
I have this exact same issue in several shops. Based on email to other pros in consulting shops, this is a significant problem and needs immediate review and resolution from Symantec.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
When you do a test backup, not the test option but a real one, does the engine also stops ?

How many job you run at the same time ?

I had the same problem and went through the same steps, repaired the database and even put in a blank one and reconfigured BE all over again and used SP3. Eventually the problem has gone away but don't ask me what the cause of it all was.

Regards
A van der Boom

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please check if there are any alerts. Also check the system and application event logs for errors.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Charlotte_Hinto
Level 3
Hi,

Yes there are alerts - have detailed these below for you.

Event Type:Error
Event Source:Service Control Manager
Event Category:None
Event ID:7034
Date:1/10/2006
Time:9:44:25 PM
User:N/A
Computer:PRESENCEWLG
Description:
The Backup Exec Job Engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 16 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

_-----------------------

Event Type:Error
Event Source:Service Control Manager
Event Category:None
Event ID:7034
Date:1/8/2006
Time:1:42:22 AM
User:N/A
Computer:PRESENCEWLG
Description:
The Backup Exec Job Engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 15 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

There are several of these through out the course of the event log, plus the ones with us having to restart the job engine as well.

Look forward to hearing from you abou this.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Charlotte,

It seems the problem with job engine stopping is occuring for a long time now. In your previous mail you have mentioned the errors in the event logs. In backup exec alerts tab, check if there are any pending alerts which you haven't answered.

Refer to the steps in the following technote that might help resolve the problem:

Backup Exec Remote Agent service stops during a backup and a "Faulting application beremote.exe, version 9.1.4691.35, faulting module bedsnt5.dll, version 9.1.4691.20" error is logged in the Application event log.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278033

Dr. Watson error may occur in BENGINE.EXE if a media alert is pending when a job cancellation occurs.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275603

Revert if the issue persists despite the modifications in the technotes above.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.