cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Job Engine is stopping

Petrov
Level 2

Hello,

When i start a backup job, the backup exec Job engine is stopping of the backup server after 2 hours.

In task manager i stop de bengine.exe and then i can restart the service for 2 hours.

Why stop the backup exec job engine?

The version is Backup Exec 2012 Version 14 Rev. 1798.1244 (64 bit) installed on a Windows Server 2008 R2

Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As per the post it look like you are updated to backup exec 2012 SP2 on the media server

Have you updated the remote servers too?

If the answer is Yes. Please log a support case for this issue.

lmosla
Level 6

Hello Petrov,

Are the Backup Exec processes excluded from any antivirus scans? C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe 

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe 
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe 
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\benetns.exe 
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pvlsvr.exe 
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BkUpexec.exe

In Windows Events do you see any errors that occur when the job engine stops?

Petrov
Level 2

Hello,

Yes, i have exec 2012 SP2 on the media server.

The agents are up te date and the servers are restarted.

We use mcafee 8.8 and the backup exec processes are excluded.

ScreenShot074.jpg

ScreenShot075.jpg

ScreenShot076.jpg

Thanks in advance,

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
As per your comment seems backup exec engine service is crashing...as suggested by lmosla please check the event viewer....does this happen while backup job is running.

sai_india
Level 3

Hi,

Please stop antivirus,windows firewall & try the backup

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to repair Backup Exec through Add/Remove Programs?

Thanks!

Petrov
Level 2

Hello,

@ MusSeth: that's the only error i get:

Backup Exec Alert: Job Cancellation

(Server: "Server28") (Job: "Server08 Backup-IncrementalDag") The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped.

@ Sai_india: windows firewall is disabled. Now i have removed mcafee on the media server.

@ CraigV: yes i have tried to repair Backup Exec through Add/Remove Programs.

What i see is that the Backpu Exec Job Engine log on as the domain administrator and not the local user. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance

CraigV

...that logon is correct. You can verify this by opening up BEutility and choosing the option to change the BE service account. Use the same user account (DomainName\UserName), and BEutility will automaticlaly change the service account details accordingly.

Thanks!

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
It could be that backup exec is requesting for media however alert is set to respond with cancel...could you please check if media request alert is configured cancelled or not....apart from that please check job if optionto cancel after specific time is set to some number of hours....you would find this option in job properties under scheduling options....for alert configuration click on backup exec button in top left corner select configuration and setting and than select alerts check the alert configuartion for the alert which you are getting in alerts eg media request, media insert etc.... Hope this helps...

CraigV

...that error crops up if the BE service has stopped...the Cancel command does not stop the service. The issue is with the service stopping, not media alerts, or jobs being cancelled by a Cancel operation.

Thanks!

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hello craig, I think it is not the service crash as he stated that he is only getting alert for cancellation....let wait for his further reply if suggested step helps him...I have seen this error even when media request is set to cancel....apart from that in first post petrov has mentioned that he sees bengine task running in task manager and after stopping it and restarting it it works for another 2 hours...most likely it is alert configuration or cancellation setting in job which is affecting backup...