cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Job Engine service locks up when I cancel a running job

Leon_Baradat
Level 3
We have Backup Exec running on three Windows 2000 Servers, each with a different kind of tape drive (one has a DDS4, one has a DLT, and the other has an LTO1 and an external LTO3). At the start of the month, as part of our quarterly server maintenance, we installed the external LTO3 drive, and upgraded from Backup Exec 8.6 to 10d, and installed SP2.

Ever since that time, when you cancel a backup job that's currently running, it cancels ok in the Job Monitor, but in Devices it shows in green (still in use). If you set another job to run (backup, inventory, label media, etc.) it puts it in queue and the job doesn't run because it thinks there's a current job ahead of it. If you try to move the tape to Scratch in the Media tab, you get the error "Cannot move the media. It is currently mounted and in use.". Sometimes this clears up after a while (10+ mins?) if I fiddle with it (possibly would also if I didn't), but sometimes it doesn't. The only workaround I've found for this is to close the program and restart the Backup Exec Job Engine service. The service takes a while to close, but once it comes back up BE works fine again...until you cancel another job.

"Hotfix 34 - Unable to cancel an active job. GUI shows job is canceled but it continues to run" looks like it might address this issue, but I'm unsure. Does anyone have any idea about it before I suggest it to my boss?
6 REPLIES 6

Leon_Baradat
Level 3
Sorry, I copied & pasted the wrong hotfix. The one I'm looking at is "Hotfix 42 - Multiple issues *Requires Backup Exec 10.1.5629 Service Pack 2": http://support.veritas.com/docs/285677.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Have you installed HF 42?

thanks.

Leon_Baradat
Level 3
No, before recommending it to my boss I wanted to sound people out to make sure this was the right hotfix to solve the issue, and to see if there were known issues with installing this patch that I should know about.

Your icon shows you're a Symantec employee--do you know if the hotfix addresses this problem, and are there known potential complications with installing it?

Leon_Baradat
Level 3
No, before recommending it to my boss I wanted to sound people out to make sure this was the right hotfix to solve the issue, and to see if there were known issues with installing this patch that I should know about.

Your icon shows you're a Symantec employee--do you know if the hotfix addresses this problem, and are there known potential complications with installing it?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly install the hotfix 32:

Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.0 5520 Hotfix 34 - Unable to cancel an active job. GUI shows job is canceled but it continues to run *Requires Backup Exec 10.0.5520 Service Pack 2 and HotFix 32

http://support.veritas.com/docs/285627

Thank You,

Shweta

Leon_Baradat
Level 3
Thank you, Shweta. I don't know, though: according to the knowledge base, 10d SP2 includes Hotfix 34: http://support.veritas.com/docs/285482. Should we install the hotfix on top of the service pack?

Also, Hotfix 34 says it requires SP2 and Hotfix 32, but I can't find Hotfix 32 for 10d on your site. Can you find me a link?