cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Library Expansion Option (LEO) Question

sgsxu
Level 2

I have run into a very strange situation: customer has two drives in the tape library and is only licensed for 2 drives with the LEO licensing. But in a recent restore test, we presented 8 drives to the BackupExec server (2010 SP2) and applied the same license. It was able to configure all 8 drives in the library and used 6 out of 8 drives during the whole restoration processes. So I am wondering if the LEO only restricts the number of drives used in backup, but not in restore. Does anyone have any insight about this situation? It will help my customer to understand and know if they need to buy additional LEOs for future restore tests.

Thanks in advance for you input!

Stephen

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are all these 8 tape drives in the same library or are they in different libraries?

sgsxu
Level 2

They are in the same library.

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Stephen

In my mind LEOs are only licenses or your cupboard.

In my mind Backup Exec does not technicaly check this Licences in the Software.

Symantec trusts the videlity of there costumers and you will run into Problems when a onsite Licence check is made.

You can install it but it has no effect on the Number of Tape Drives you can use techincaly.

Only the first installed Licence aktivates the Change Support in the Installation Process, in my mind.

Leagaly you have to by a LEO licence for every drive in a Library excluding the first drive of every Library even when you test only a restore.

If you bought two LEOs you can use a Library with three drive.

If this was helpful please mark this as solution.

sgsxu
Level 2

I believe LEO does check number of drives being used. I saw lots of posts on this site and internet about LEO license violation issues. But of course all of the cases are backup related. Just not sure if LEO restricts number of drives used in restores.

Anyone from Symantec can make a comment here?

Really appreciate all the inputs!

Stephen

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...legally you have to buy LEO licenses for every drive in the library to comply. Full stop!

What's the point of only being able to use 8 drives during a restore for instance, and not during a backup???

You're giving the wrong advice here, especially as a Partner...the licensing guide states you need to license every drive after the first, and this is the information you should be pushing.

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

CYA and buy the required LEO licenses, or remove the tape drives you don't have licenses for.

The licensing guide is clear on this...

Thanks!