cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Library Expansion Option

Phu_Nguyen
Level 4

HI,

I am having a LT05 tape which is currently connected to my backup exec 2012. I am plaining to purchase Dell 8 slot Tape library. 

To my understanding that When you install Backup Exec, it just support for the first drive only which is my current LT05, therefore to make backup exec 2012 talk with Dell tape library, i have to purchase Backup Exec Library Expansion Option.

Do i understand correctly ?

Thank you very much for you help.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If the library contains only 1 drive you don't need a LEO.
If the library contains more then 1 drive, you need a LEO for each additional drive.

The number is slots (tapes you can add) is not relevant.

You already have a standalone drive, you can also use the library at the same time without extra license.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If the library contains only 1 drive you don't need a LEO.
If the library contains more then 1 drive, you need a LEO for each additional drive.

The number is slots (tapes you can add) is not relevant.

You already have a standalone drive, you can also use the library at the same time without extra license.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Adding to the above comment, first drive of every RL is included...additional drives require LEO license...

for egs.

RL with Drive 1 & Drive 2

RL2 with Drive 3 & Drive 4

Drives 1 & 3 are included with Backup Exec base license...If planning to use Drive 2 & Drive 4, you would require additional LEO licenses,else not.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43073 - What is Library Expansion Option. and when is it necessary to use this option?

This technote explains what is the Library Expansion and when is it required... 

I found this solution using Symantecs Knowledge base - SymWISE KB search (I just typed 'What is Library Expansion Option' in the search box... TECH43073 was the 5th technote down the search result)

You could also give it a try next time.. smiley