cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Licensing

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified
Hello, I would like to clear the thing Licensing. We have a Win Server and a Synology NAS x model. What licenses should we exactly purchase to be able to backup , the server and the NAS. Do you need an extra license for the NAS? Technically we are able to mount the NAS per iSCSI and view the contens as locale HDD and of course run a full backup. I call support from Symantec in Germany and in England. Both told me, for a backup that contains files, those on a NAS are, we have to buy a ndmp license, no matter how and where the NAS is connected. Because we are going to buy licenses for many customers please only official answers. Kind Regards Spiros
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

As far as I know, Synology doesn't support NDMP, therefore there should be no discussion of the NDMP Agent or NDMP usage with a Synology NAS.

Most of the Synology NASes are on the HCL and I am sure more will be added over time.  Listing of a disk device on the HCL is not mandatory to use it and have it supported.  As far as I know, all the Symnology NASes run the same DiskStation software, so that shouldn't be an issue.

To back up from a NAS connected via iSCSI requires no Agent licenses as BE sees it as a local disk drive.  Only the BE server has access to these files though.

To back up to a NAS connected via iSCSI works fine as BE sees it as a local B2D drive.  No Agent license required.

To back up from a NAS via CIFS requires a Remote Agent license, even if the Agent cannot be installed.  Be aware that you can generally only do full backups and cannot do proper incrmentals.  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH68920   This storage can be shared by multiple people/computers.

To back up to a NAS via CIFS works fine as a B2D UNC path, assuming you have credentials working. No Agent License required.

So, iSCSI has multiple advantages, but the big limit is when backing up from an iSCSI NAS is that BE is the only server that can access those files (no sharing like CIFS amongst multiple users/computers).

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you're going to mount LUNs from the NAS that store data on it from a server perspective, then you'd just need the media server license and any application agents. This assumes that the server in question is also the file server for instance.

If you're backing  up data hosted on the NAS via CIFS for instance, then you need a RAWS agent license in order to be in compliance.

Read the licensing guide below for further information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178479

Thanks!

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified

Hi CraigV,

thank you very much for your time.

What do you mean with "any application agent" ?

Example Enviroment:

1x Server Windows - Backup Server

1x Server Windows - Fileserver

1x NAS mount per iSCSI

Purchase :

???

Example Enviroment:

1x Server Windows - Backup Server

1x Server Windows - Fileserver

1x NAS backup shared folders/files on Windows

I saw BE Agent Document :

"NDMP Option - Per  Network Attached Storage (NAS) device - Purchase one NDMP  Option for  each NAS device being protected."

Kind Regards,

Spiros

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I call support from Symantec in Germany and in England. Both told me, for a backup that contains files, those on a NAS are, we have to buy a ndmp license, no matter how and where the NAS is connected.

Mine is certainly not an official answer, but I don't think that is correct info.  My understanding of the NDMP license is that it is needed when doing an NDMP mode backup from an NDMP device that is on the HCL in the NDMP section.  From a BE perspective, NDMP is a subset of NAS.  In other words, all certified NDMP devices are also known as NAS devices.  But, not all NAS devices are NDMP devices.

To re-phrase what CraigV said: If you are backing up a NAS via CIFS, then you need a RAWS license for that.  If you are backing up a NAS via iSCSI, it is seen as local disk and no extra NAS/agent license is needed.

CraigV

For your example environment:

* 1 x Media server license

* 1 x RAWS agent for the file server

* 1 x RAWS agent IF you're backing up the NAS via CIFS

If the NAS is used to present iSCSI LUNs to the file server, then no further agent is needed as it is local disk.

NDMP license is required if using NDMP...

Thanks!

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified

Hello both,

thank you very much for your time.

How could we receive an official answer or e-mail from Symantec that can clarify and confirm your words?

It is not that i dont believe you, it is only that we have the same model on more than 100 Customers and we want to be ok with the licenses.

Kind Regards,

Spiros

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Contact the Symantec Licencing Department and you would get an official answer.

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified

Hallo,

i am sorry that i have to reopen that Case but something is not yet clear.

CraigV : If you're backing  up data hosted on the NAS via CIFS for instance, then you need a RAWS agent license in order to be in compliance.

Symatenc :

Case: which BE license needed for backing up NAS storage from Windows file server

Dear Mr Karampinis ,

Synology DS214play, DS214+ and DS415+ for B2D cert only, and not

supported as a target for NDMP, this we already know.

The devices are listed in a queue within our cLab  organization  however;  the priority is low and we cannot give an estimation for possible delivery , as we do not have many customers requesting support for this.

At this time we must unfortunately say that it’s not supported and can not provide any estimation due to the lack of market demand.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks & regards,

Yury Peichev

Global Delivery Support Services

www.symantec.com

With simply words , because the call me to explain me that, they dont have any License for those , for example, NAS devices.

They dont care about these devices because are "Low Demand" as they said.

So .. do we need a license or not?

Spiros

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified

Dear Mr Karampinis,

Due to the fact that NAS machines are licensed under the NDMP option within Backup Exec and that the particular Synology model ( NAS 214 or 814 ) you are backuping is currently not compatible with this option, there is no need for you to purchase an additional license at this time.

Thanks & regards,

Yury Peichev

www.symantec.com

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified

Dear Mr Karampinis,

Due to the fact that NAS machines are licensed under the NDMP option within Backup Exec and that the particular Synology model ( NAS 214 or 814 ) you are backuping is currently not compatible with this option, there is no need for you to purchase an additional license at this time.

Thanks & regards,

Yury Peichev

www.symantec.com

@ CraigV : So .. is that also right?

Kind Regards

Spiros

CraigV

...are you backing up too, or from it?

I'd go with what they say especially if the NAS isn't supported yet.

Thanks!

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified

Norma from it but sometimes up too.

As they said, as long NAS dont support NDMP a License ist not necessary.

Thank you.

Spiros

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you backup over CIFS and have no remote agent licenses installed at all (and are outside of the trial period) then the job will fail with a licensing error. This is basically an indication that even for CIFS backups you do need an agent for windows license to cover the host of the CIFS share (even if not running Windows)

If you are backing up to CIFS and NOT from CIFS then no futher license is needed (although I would recommend using iSCSI and not CIFS for other reasons)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Without the NDMP license, the NDMP option is not enabled. The sender is trying to save you from buying a NDMP license and finding yourself running an unsupported configuration

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

As far as I know, Synology doesn't support NDMP, therefore there should be no discussion of the NDMP Agent or NDMP usage with a Synology NAS.

Most of the Synology NASes are on the HCL and I am sure more will be added over time.  Listing of a disk device on the HCL is not mandatory to use it and have it supported.  As far as I know, all the Symnology NASes run the same DiskStation software, so that shouldn't be an issue.

To back up from a NAS connected via iSCSI requires no Agent licenses as BE sees it as a local disk drive.  Only the BE server has access to these files though.

To back up to a NAS connected via iSCSI works fine as BE sees it as a local B2D drive.  No Agent license required.

To back up from a NAS via CIFS requires a Remote Agent license, even if the Agent cannot be installed.  Be aware that you can generally only do full backups and cannot do proper incrmentals.  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH68920   This storage can be shared by multiple people/computers.

To back up to a NAS via CIFS works fine as a B2D UNC path, assuming you have credentials working. No Agent License required.

So, iSCSI has multiple advantages, but the big limit is when backing up from an iSCSI NAS is that BE is the only server that can access those files (no sharing like CIFS amongst multiple users/computers).