cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Load Media After 260gb ultrium 3

Deecolan
Level 2
i am using a ultrium 3 storageworks 920 with backup exec

when i run test job it runs fine but when i commit the job to run, it runs out of tape and asks to load another tape

there seems to be no compression at all tape stops backing up at about 260GB

i am backing up the information store through backup exec and also the edb databases by location

eg: E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\sales.edb ...stm

do i need to backup both?

why does test run say ok then run out of media when running the job

seems a bit strange

I am using Backup Exec to backup my exchange 2003 server with 2k3 operating system
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Similar to the other "Runs out of space" thread.  Here he is getting  260 GB on an LTO3 tape, in the other, they is getting only 200GB.    LTO3 is supposed to hold 400 uncompressed

Sounds like the Symantec LTO3 drivers may have a problem

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Compression is not a guatanteed capacity for you rmedia - as such what is the Native and Compressed Capacity of the tapes you are using - for instance a 200GB/400GB tape will only hold 200GB uncompressed and might hold up to 400GB compressed but there is not guaranteed because compression depends on the data being backed up.

If you o have a 200GB/400GB tape and you are getting 260GB on it then you are getting some compression.

Oh an as an aside unless you have been modifying things a lot to bypass the restriction BackuP Exec will normally ignore EDB files when selecting the file system because the Exchnage data should be backed up via the correct remote agent facility - as such there is an "Active File Exclusion" in the background that will stop them being backed up that way. And no unless you intend to shutdown Exchange to backup the EDB files it is not a good idea to back the files up from the file system anyway because you cna cause inconsistencies withing the Exchnage database if the EDB files are backed up slightly out of time from the log files for Exchange and then a restore job is done.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
LTO3 tapes should give you at least 400GB on a tape, and the fact you are getting less could point to your append periods and overwrite periods.
Have a check on those, and make sure that your settings are correct.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Similar to the other "Runs out of space" thread.  Here he is getting  260 GB on an LTO3 tape, in the other, they is getting only 200GB.    LTO3 is supposed to hold 400 uncompressed

Sounds like the Symantec LTO3 drivers may have a problem

David_Perrin
Level 5
We are using our Ultrium 3 drive on an old alpha system now, so I have not used an Ultrium 3 with backupexec in a couple of years.

Deecolan
Level 2
ultrium 3 is 400gb native

i have even tried adding second tape when job asks to load media this also runs out asking for a third tape!!!

"LTO3 tapes should give you at least 400GB on a tape, and the fact you are getting less could point to your append periods and overwrite periods.
Have a check on those, and make sure that your settings are correct"

I have no protection on any tapes i also have tried erasing before each backup starts

i have another 1 of these running no problem backing up 600gb

Deecolan
Level 2
Ken

You were spot on about the drivers i removed and used windows and started to run perfectly

had an issue with tape drive hardware also but this was separate issue altogether

ran first job tonight 350 gb

thanks again :)