cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - Migrate data and continue incrementals

davegk80
Level 2

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can advise me.

I have a server with SAN attached storage. The data is being backed up by Backup Exec 2010. The server needs replacing. If I re-attach the storage LUN to a new server, is there a way to continue the incremental backups without having to start a new full back up?

Many Thanks

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes you can...I don't see too much of an issue. Rezoning a LUN to another server shouldn't change the date of last access for instance.

best bet is to run the INCR job and see if it backs up the data correctly. Failing that, run the FULL followed by the INCRs again.
Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes you can...I don't see too much of an issue. Rezoning a LUN to another server shouldn't change the date of last access for instance.

best bet is to run the INCR job and see if it backs up the data correctly. Failing that, run the FULL followed by the INCRs again.
Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You might get away with it on BE 2010 however if you were running a newer BE version if the servername and drive letter for the location are going to change this would almost certainly require a new full .

BTW for any version of BE we won't have specifically tested your scenario. The concern I have for BE 2010 is that you would have to remember that to restore  your data you would be looking at redirecting from the backup sets for the old servername to get the full and any older incrementals before recovering the newer incremental sets against the new servername. Over time this could become prone to human error and even accidental deletion of a critical backup set.

Also we do NOT recommend running one full backup and then doing incrementals for ever, as there is too great a probabilty that something may go wrong with at least one backup set in the chain causing issues for restore

As such best practice is run a new full anyway and plan to periodically run new fulls so that you don't have an massively long incremental chain.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Another thing to note about the newer releases of BE, disk backups are managed by DLM and DLM does not expire part of a backup chain. If you have a long backup chain them you need lots of disk storage

davegk80
Level 2

It worked. I installed the agent on the new server and selected that server in the same policy. It then just ran an incremental.

Cheers for your comments.