cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Missing Robotic Library

dropino
Level 3

Hi all, currently my company is using Backup Exec 2010 R2 running on window 2003 64bit R2 SP2, our tape library is HP MSL4048.

We have bought library expansion option as it have 2 drive. We tried to run two different job backuping different server concurrently but only 1 drive is active all the time & the second job will be queue & it show no device is available. It seem like althought i have 2 drive but only 1 drive can be active. it random use either drive for different job.. We also notice a behaviour, we don't have robotic library in the device tab. but on the install option or license, Robotic library is being checked & grey off, but on the about licensing information, we cannot locate any licensing regarding robotic library...

Anyone encounter this issue before?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dropino
Level 3

resolve on my own, thanks everyone for your kind advise

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

we don't have robotic library in the device tab

Is you operatimg system recognised the robot? It should show under medium changer devices in device manager. If it is not shown there, BE cannot recognise it.

Regards...

dropino
Level 3

see the picture, on the left is the another backup server 12, on the right is the 2010R2 which is missing robotic library, the icon on the left tells it..

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi dropino,

Can you please attach the screen shots directly? I couldn't see it now. It is giving some domain not registered message...

Thanks...

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You can refer to the following technote link which will redirect you to new technote. support.veritas.com/docs/255501 This technote has the screenshots about how the Robotic library should be shown in the Device manager of Windows operating system. Thanks, -Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

First things first...that MSL is connected to a supported SCSI card, and NOT a RAID card on the server, correct? If not, that is your issue. What Windows sees, BE sees...

If it is, then there are a couple of other things to look into:

1. Download the latest DDI drivers for BE 2010 and install them. Once done, run the Device Configuration Wizard and install those drivers for the tape drives.

2. Make sure that the LEO license is correctly entered in BE itself. There is a licensing wizard you can run to check this...

3. Stop and disable Removable StoraGE SERVice as this causes issues with BE and the manner in which it controls the drive and robotics.

4. Download HP Library and Tape Tools (HP LTT) and use the diagnostics it comes with to: a] update the library's firmware; b] check that there are no errors with the hardware.

dropino
Level 3

resolve on my own, thanks everyone for your kind advise

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...and the resolution was...? It helps any future posters if they have the same issue as you did!

Thanks!