Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec NDMP configuration

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I need to configure NDMP backup on my backup exec to backup my Netapp, and i have tape library, and i have been reading the NDMP document and i have come across the statemement from Backup exec Admin Doc Page No:- 1787

" To configure Backup Exec to use theNDMPoption, you must add theNDMPserver
to Backup Exec. If any storage devices are attached to the NDMP server, Backup
Exec discovers them automatically after the services are restarted, and then adds
them to the list of devices."

This means i need to connect my tape autoloader only to my Netapp Storage , No need to zone it to my media server ? So as soon as i add my NDMP Device and restart my Backup exec Services my Tape drive attached to my Netapp will be added to device list , Later which i can choose this device to perform backup ? Am i right to say this ? May i know how this communication happens ? 

Also Can help me to understand backup exec actually performs an Incremental Backup using NDMP ? My understanding from Netbackup is that we cannot have an incremental backup because NDMP backup always dumps the whole volume/qtree of netbackup on to tapes but i doesn's perform an incremental. 

Any Document or white Paper would be a great help.

Thanks,

Nayab

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

1) You can choose to connect the tape library only to the NetApp or Zone it to both NetApp and Media Server locations (kind of depends on whether or not all of the data you intend to backup is on the NetApp or if some of it is on separate remote systems.

2) It is by design that as soon a you add the Netapp (with an attached library) and restart services even though the library is only attached to the NetApp that it will also show up under the media server. As far as I know it should be still reasonably obvious how to set the target device in the job, (although I do not have such a config available to check this)

3) The way communication happens is Backup Exec sends NDMP requests to the NetApp's NDMP Data Mover to send the data straight to the NetApp's NDMP Tape Server, once the requests are sent, apart from some control and update information all further activity is performed within the NetApp (and therefore subject to how a NetApp actions NDMP requests.)

4) Incremental backups are possible on a NetApp but using Levels - but it is fiddly as you have set setup a different job config for each day (with a single job definition)  to set the different levels:

Level 0 = Backup Eveything (A full)

Level 1 = Backup all changes since Level 0 ( so either first incremental or a differential)

Level 2 = Backup all changes since Level 1 (2nd incremental)

Level 3 = Backup all changes since Level 2 (3rd incremental)

For more info on Levels please review NetApp's own documentation regarding NDMP backups

BTW if your Netapp holds anything other than direct user data but instead holds data containers such as  LUNs, Exchange databases or Virtual Machines, then the NDMP option is not recommended because GRT is NOT available meaning you would only be able to restore the whole of the data container and not individual data contained within it. See this blog for LAN free descriptions that partially explain this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/lan-free-including-san-backup-configurations-backup-exec

View solution in original post

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
13 REPLIES 13

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

1) You can choose to connect the tape library only to the NetApp or Zone it to both NetApp and Media Server locations (kind of depends on whether or not all of the data you intend to backup is on the NetApp or if some of it is on separate remote systems.

2) It is by design that as soon a you add the Netapp (with an attached library) and restart services even though the library is only attached to the NetApp that it will also show up under the media server. As far as I know it should be still reasonably obvious how to set the target device in the job, (although I do not have such a config available to check this)

3) The way communication happens is Backup Exec sends NDMP requests to the NetApp's NDMP Data Mover to send the data straight to the NetApp's NDMP Tape Server, once the requests are sent, apart from some control and update information all further activity is performed within the NetApp (and therefore subject to how a NetApp actions NDMP requests.)

4) Incremental backups are possible on a NetApp but using Levels - but it is fiddly as you have set setup a different job config for each day (with a single job definition)  to set the different levels:

Level 0 = Backup Eveything (A full)

Level 1 = Backup all changes since Level 0 ( so either first incremental or a differential)

Level 2 = Backup all changes since Level 1 (2nd incremental)

Level 3 = Backup all changes since Level 2 (3rd incremental)

For more info on Levels please review NetApp's own documentation regarding NDMP backups

BTW if your Netapp holds anything other than direct user data but instead holds data containers such as  LUNs, Exchange databases or Virtual Machines, then the NDMP option is not recommended because GRT is NOT available meaning you would only be able to restore the whole of the data container and not individual data contained within it. See this blog for LAN free descriptions that partially explain this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/lan-free-including-san-backup-configurations-backup-exec

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply , I will go through the link.

Regards,

Nayab

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Hi Nayab,

You can also read below technotes

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48957

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Adonis,

Thanks a lot for the link..

regards

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can let me know what are all the versions of NDMP supported in BE 2014 ?

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Hi Nayabsk,

Below link is Backup Exec 2014 Hardware Compatibility List

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech214803

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Adonis,

Thanks a lot for the link it is clear now, i have few more questions.

i have one windows server 2012 on which i am going to install BE 2014 and while installation do i need to just choose SERVER installation or i need to first instal Server and than CLIENT ??

Also to configure Tape autoloader i have come across that it is recommended to use Symantec tape drivers instead of HP , I can choose this as well during installation ?

Due to some issues on the Netapp Filer our client wants to have 3-Way NDMP so for 3-way NDMP i will be adding the tape autoloader and then from the backup i choose the target as my tape autoloader ?

It should be quite straight right ?

Thanks,

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

And also can let me know how i can Configure a Tape drive Cleaning job in BE 2014 as my HP autoloader is having only one drive , How to designate a slot as cleaning slot my HP comes with 8 slots 4 each sides of library , I need auto-cleaning to be enabled and also let me know how often i need to clean my drive as i will be running weekly full and daily incremental jobs.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Hi Nayab,

To answer your inquiry:

1. If you're going to install BE Media Server, choose SERVER. If client only, choose CLIENT installation instead.

2. About AutoLoader driver, use first HP driver. You need to make the said autoloader to be detected first by the OS (in that case, you need to install the manufacturers driver first). During configuration of Autoloader at Backup Exec, choose Symantec Tape Drivers. This time, Backup Exec will overwrite the HP Drivers detected by the OS

3. Below TN shows how to configure Backup Exec Cleaning Jobs for autoloaders

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24972

Regards,

Adonis

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks a lot for your help throughout the post :)

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Adonis,

One last question hope you don't mind answering, Can help me find a technote on how to label tape in backup exec or import new tapes, 

Thanks a ton :)

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Hi Nayabsk,

See below technotes:

To label a tape

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO98897

Importing media to Backup Exec

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO98957

Regards,

Adonis

If I have a FC connection between by Tape device and NetApp, will this work? or do I need to have a Ethernet connection?