cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - Oracle 10g R2 ASM (64 bit)

clemcobra
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a client who wants to use Backup Exec 2012 to perform external backups of their Oracle 10g R2 (10.2.0.5) which is using the ASM for file storage.

Two questions:

1. Does Backup Exec support the version of Oracle that my client is using and also the ASM feature
  2. Is there any documentation about configuring it?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

theOnkar
Level 4
Employee

Yes. Backup Exec supports that version of Oracle.

You may refer to  : 

Best practices for Backup Exec 2010 Agent for Oracle on Windows or LINUX Servers :

Installation and configuration requirements for the Oracle Agent : 

How to configure Backup Exec for Windows Servers (version 11d or later) to backup Oracle for Windows Servers : 

Oracle backup options : 

If this answers your query, kindly mark this post as solution.

Vasu_Tanneri
Not applicable
Employee

Hi clemcobra,

Backup Exec 2012 does support the Oracle 10gR2 version. But Backup Exec 2012 does not support the "ASM feature".

teiva-boy
Level 6

Configure RMAN to dump the file to a drive mount.  Then configure BackupExec to pick up the flat files.

Whats better for Oracle is an enterprise backup product and not BackupExec.  Those would include Symantec's own NetBackup, Networker, Commvault, even just plain RMAN from Oracle.

The thing is that Oracle and BackupExec are often as very different price points.  It's not very often that folks are running a small business product, to protect an enterprise Db.  If there was enough demand, I'm sure Symantec would change its tune...  Unless it's an artificial limitation/decision, based on not wanting to take away sales from NetBackup?

samrish
Level 2
Employee

Backup Exec Oracle Agent does support ASM. This configuration has been qualified internally. How to make this clear and visible is being worked out.