cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec PVL service has stopped working

ATsuchida
Level 3
Anytime I try to do something, whether it's inventory, run a job, clean a drive, quick erase a tape, I get a pop up that says "Backup Exec PVL service has stopped working"  and has this additional information in the box:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BEX
  Application Name: pvlsvr.exe
  Application Version: 13.0.2896.108
  Application Timestamp: 4b84a53d
  Fault Module Name: DeviceIo.dll
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.4284.106
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4b7bea77
  Exception Offset: 000264b9
  Exception Code: c0000409
  Exception Data: 00000000
  OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.272.7
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 48b3
  Additional Information 2: 8b7676cdd19bf5190206afc576024a4b
  Additional Information 3: 5f26
  Additional Information 4: 6007aace639283be247126f28327f467

We're running Server 2008 Standard SP1
Backup Exec 2010

This was actually happening with Backup Exec 12.5, but it wasn't as clear as to what the problem was.  So we upgraded to 2010 thinking it might fix the issue.  Still nothing, but now at least it tells us it's the PVL.  I just don't know how to fix this!
11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Your PVL service will control the backup devices.
Start by downloading the latest drivers for Backup Exec 2010 (as of end February 2010). Load up the drivers, and then make sure you are using the Symantec drivers for your device.
Also check and see that the RSM service is stopped and disabled.
Failing that, run a repair of your Backup Exec DB...
Post the results here...

Laters!

ATsuchida
Level 3
Did all that, and same issue

CraigV
Are you running an antivirus on that server that might block the program from working?
I would exclude the entire installation directory from scanning...see if it starts up again.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Delete the Robotic library from your backup exec console and restart your servcies and see if the initialise the RL again ...

ATsuchida
Level 3
CraigV: There is no antivirus on the server at the moment.  

RahulG: We've done that multiple times

I was on the phone for 3 hours with your tech support and got no where.  He said he was escalating the call to another engineer but I wouldn't get a call until 8am today.  So we shall see what happens.

CraigV
RSM stopped, although I would assume the techie asked you to verify that...?
Was your move to Backup Exec 2010 an upgrade, or a clean install?
I know it is a schlep, but have you considered uninstalling the application, and then reinstalling?

Laters!

ATsuchida
Level 3
RSM is stopped yeah, he had me verify that.

First we did an upgrade from 12.5 to 2010 on our Windows 2008 Server.  But having issues, so we went to another server that we hadn't been using, with Windows Server 2003 on it and did a clean install of 2010.  Still same issue.  And we have completely uninstalled and reinstalled.  Seriously, we've tried EVERYTHING.  :(

CraigV
Weird...are these HP servers perhaps, or a branded name with proprietary software on that manages hardware like SCSI, NICs etc? Kind of like HP's Insight agents?

ATsuchida
Level 3
No we don't have anything weird going on.  Just Dell Servers. Poweredge 1950s

I had an open case and was told I'd be getting a call today at 8am, buuuuuuuut that was 5 hours ago.  When I call I sit on hold listening to the most horrendous music.  I could only take it for an hour and hung up.

CraigV
Mmm...I know that HP servers had an issue with the SCSI commands, as well as polling a fibre-attached tape library. Both caused the hardware to disconnect.
Maybe check to make sure you don't have any Dell management agents, and then disable them before trying again...? Worth a try.
Call Symantec again and get your call escalated to Critical...you get into a shorter queue.

ATsuchida
Level 3
According to the guy I spoke to, my case is assigned to a specialized engineer that takes critical cases.  So I'm not sure what is going on.