cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec R2 Exchange 2010 DAG Failure (V-79-57344-34070)

GavSol
Level 3

I am unable to successfully backup an Exchange 2010 DAG, using Backup Exec 2010 R2. This is a new setup - job has never been succesful. I'm hoping someone has worked through this issue or at least has this working to give me some hope! smiley

Error Summary:

"V-79-57344-34070 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details."

Environment:

• 3 Node Exchange DAG (2 nodes in Production site, 1 node in DR site), running on Windows 2008R2
  • DR Exchange node running 2 x passive DAG copies and 1 x standalone active database and public folders
  • Backup Exec located in DR site, running on windows 2008R2

Job Summary/troubleshooting:

I'm wanting to run the backup job against the local DAG node and capture all 3 databases and public folders. The standalone database and public folders work fine, (just not the passive DAG copies)

I've tried various job options which inevitably result in the same error. Backup job fails within 3 minutes.

• Job credentials test OK
  • Advanced Open File option is off (tried on, with same result)
  • Exchange backup method is "Full - Database and Logs"
  • Have tried various "High availability server options" Auto and Passive Copies with same result.
  • Active copy only option also fails (also kind of pointless going back across WAN and defeats the purpose of the $DAG agent)
  • Have restarted servers
  • Have checked vss writers, all OK.

I've spent a while going through support forum, inclduing this main article here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH139703&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'
   Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}
   Writer Instance Id: {a951e6e1-eee9-4bf5-a137-89e146b21283}
   State: [1] Stable
   Last error: No error 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GavSol
Level 3

I just wanted to reply and offer a solution for anyone else with this issue.

In short, the "Microsoft Exchange Replica writer" was missing, because it had been disabled to allow Windows Backup to work.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876851.aspx and in particular the last item about removing it when switching back to an Exchange 2010 aware product linke Backup Exec.

If your getting my issue and have been using Windows backup, check for the reg key below and remove it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\Replay\Parameters.

DWORD value named EnableVSSWriter, with value '0'.

(restart the Microsoft Exchange Replication service)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GavSol
Level 3

I just wanted to reply and offer a solution for anyone else with this issue.

In short, the "Microsoft Exchange Replica writer" was missing, because it had been disabled to allow Windows Backup to work.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876851.aspx and in particular the last item about removing it when switching back to an Exchange 2010 aware product linke Backup Exec.

If your getting my issue and have been using Windows backup, check for the reg key below and remove it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\Replay\Parameters.

DWORD value named EnableVSSWriter, with value '0'.

(restart the Microsoft Exchange Replication service)

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Good to know this piece of information. Thanks for posting the solution.

Thanks..