cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Recommended Files to Exclude on SQL Server

Quad
Level 4

I am doing a fresh installation of BAckup Exec 2010.  I'm having some problems with Database backups.  I keep getting network connection lost errors.  We have done several things to determine that network connectivity is fine.

Instead what i need advice on is what are the recommended files to remove from the SQL Installation folder when using backup exec.  We have now seperated of the SQL Databases using flat file backups and then backing these up.  But i need to know if there are any default files in the Microsoft SQL Server folder that should be removed when using backup exec to backup that server?

7 REPLIES 7

tech29
Level 6

Symantec doesnot recommend to remove any default files in the MS SQL server folder for backing up through Backup Exec.

please let us know what version of SQL are you trying to backup and also please provide the failed job log.

Regards,

tech29

Quad
Level 4

Hi,

We are backing up SQL 2005 using Backup Exec 2010 R2.  Bear in mind just backing up the servers without using the SQL Agent and backing up the flat files has worked the last three days but failed last night

Failure is attached.

Things we have tried.

- Individual backups

- hosts and lmhosts entries

- all servers publishing to media servers

- seperating sql databases backups from the server backup

- different port from 10000 for the agent

- reinstalling the agent

and a number of other things i cannot readily think of.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I guess its hard coded in backup exec to skip the Database file i.e mdf and ldf if you dont have the SQL agent installed . refer the following document

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH92375

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you mean you are not using the SQL agent but instead using MS command to Dump the SQL Database to bak files then fine - however we don't recommend trying to backup the live databases without using the agent.

With regards the SQL files, our 'hidden' active file exclusion should take care of blocking things you don't need, however this might only apply to SQL files if you have the SQL Agent Serial Number installed.

tech29
Level 6

as per the job log, The job is failing when verifying on:

Verify of \\SYMAPP\C: System

Please check if you are backing up any such folder. If not, try to remove this folder from the backup selections.

Regards,

tech29

Quad
Level 4

Hi all,

Colin - We are currently using SQL's built in maintenance tools to perform a flat file backup which i am then backing up in a seperate job to tape within backup exec.  That is working fine.

However, the original database job has failed again as above.  In response to tech29 we are indeed backing that up and although i have seen it fail on this server before i have also seen it fail on others within the selection list, However, it is ALWAYS on the verify.  Its like there is a timeout on the agent when trying to verify a file which it cannot open. 

My manager was pretty sure that when it was working on 11d he removed certain files from the backup under the "c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server".  I cannot confirm this hence the question of "is there any default sql server files that should be excluded when performing backups within backup exec"

I have removed the agent itself as the cause by no longer using it which leaves now my choices in the selection lists as the cause of the problem.  Something i am backing up is causing a failure on verify. 

Quad
Level 4

Sorry in addition we do have the SQL Agent serial number installed. 

My worry about live databases was that there might be something in the default sql installation we are backing up that is part of the live system and that is the cause of the error.  We might not see it happen all the time because it may only cause a problem if we are backing up and it is in use at the time