cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Agent - Can't connect to Windows System

Xayya_C
Level 2

Hello - 

I am having an issue connecting to a "Windows System Resource".  I am getting a message "An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of "      ". The network path was not found.  This server is in another location that does not acquire the same IP space.  I can see the server on the list so it seems the remote agent was installed correctly.  I have disable firewalls and edited rules to try to get this working.  I have another server in the same IP space as the Backup Exec Media Server that I have no problems connecting to.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Xayya_C
Level 2

Thanks for your advice.  I believe there is filtering going on that I'm not aware of at the data center we house our servers at.  I was getting many blocks doing the tracert from remote server to media server.  So even though I was able to see my remote servers in the listing, I cannot see the contents due to some blockage.     

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Are you trying to browse the name or the IP address? Check and see if you can resolve the remote server's name and IP address from the media server, and if not you might have to edit either the hosts file or DNS to point to it correctly if not on the same domain.

If you're trying to browse via name, put the remote server's IP address into a custom selection list using User-defined Selection and try browse it again...

You can also make sure that the RAWS agent is started up on the remote server, and that it is publishing back to the media server using the media server's IP address.

Thanks!

Xayya_C
Level 2

Hi Craig, I actually tried both by name and IP address.  Under "
Windows Systems" the name of the server shows up.  I also tried to input the IP as a "user-defined selection" and still was unable to list the contents of the server.  I made sure the media server IP is being broadcasted correctly and looked at some wireshark logs to see the path of communication.  

Also, one thing I read about trying was using telnet port 10000 as a test.  I could telnet from the remote agent server to the media server, but could not telnet from media server to remote agent.  I also made sure port 10000 was listening.

Thanks for your help.    

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I could telnet from the remote agent server to the media server, but could not telnet from media server to remote agent

You need to check your DNS server to make sure that there is a path to and from the remote server.

Xayya_C
Level 2

Hi, the DNS server is also housing the media server.  I am able to ping and tracert fine to the remote server. Just in case, I also added into my hosts file additional host and IP information for the remote server.  I will try installing the RAWS agent on additional hosts to see if anything changes.  Thanks.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What about the other way round, from the remote server to the media server?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Per a KB, it could be an issue of corrupt framework on the remote server...Have you tried a repair of the .NET framework on the remote server ?

Xayya_C
Level 2

Thanks for your advice.  I believe there is filtering going on that I'm not aware of at the data center we house our servers at.  I was getting many blocks doing the tracert from remote server to media server.  So even though I was able to see my remote servers in the listing, I cannot see the contents due to some blockage.