cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Agent and VM Agent Issue

D_Ferry
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have this issue with the backup exec performing a vmdk backup. I am successful in my backup as vmdk level before during the time that i havent installed the remote agent on the guest OS. But after that installation of the remote agent, i always come up with this error "V-79-57344-38260 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be to...

Looking forward for your assistance.

Regards and Thanks,

Dferry

10 REPLIES 10

teiva-boy
Level 6

Both agents can co-exist, you just CANNOT have the VMware Tools VSS driver installed, and you should do a custom install and deselect that item.

yusufusmani
Level 4

Are you using a vSphere Standard license or a free one, if free one is in your case, then note that all free versions of ESXi requires a minimum license from VMware in order to be protected by Backup Exec.

This may be due to the lack of vStorage API for Data Protection support in the free unlicensed versions of ESXi

Please let us know if this issent your case.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The recommended VSS provider is is the one provided by RAWS.  You don't have to un-install VMTools.  All you need to do is to re-install the RAWS.  During the RAWS installation process, it will automatically de-select the VMTools VSS provider.

As previously advised, you will also need to have the vStorage API for BE 2010 to work and this is included in a paid version of ESXi.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you have the old vmware lgto_synch driver installed then this needs disabling/removing as well.

May not be applicable to yoru problem but worth being aware of.

DieGoettlichen
Level 3

Hi Colin,

how to remove that? I can't find it in a "change"-installation of the VMware tools. Could you also explain what problems could be encountered if its still installed?

D_Ferry
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the help... Just want to update you, the client is using the paid ESX. Disabling the any service or uninstalling any tools and drivers for VSS may cripple its communication with the vCenter. Ill try your suggestion pkh, ill do an agent reinstallation. Does it matter if it is via push or direct installation? Ill check if theres driver alike what youve said collin... Thanks for help everyone. Will update this thread once done those activity.

Thanks again,

Dferry

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Does it matter if it is via push or direct installation?

No

teiva-boy
Level 6

VSS has little to do, actually nothing to do with vCenter communication.  In fact, you don't even need VMware tools installed at all if you don't want to, you can still virtualize and run a guest.  You can remove the tools, reinstall, or do a custom uninstall with no effect, other than a possible reboot.

OP
Level 4
Partner Accredited

We've had problems with the avvi-based backup since 1.5 years. Most of them were solved by patching,patching,patching.

Every update improved the behaviour of the backup ..

D_Ferry
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Since we were not be able to resolve our issue with the Virtual machine and Backup exec agent, we ended up with doing a backup with the GRT disabled just to avoid quiesce error. Ill just keep this post as for reference. Thanks for the replies.