cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit not installing

Ryan2peirce
Level 2
i am trying to get my RAW to work on my 2008 64 bit server but it is coming up with compatibility problems i have tried a push from a media server but no luck i have tried a local install and no luck there i did run the setupaax64.cmd file and nothing i ended up running the setup.exe file and that is where the compatibility issues come in.i do have version 12.5 with SP2 i have installed the 331998 update rebooted the server. i was on the phone for 2 hours with symantec support and they where not able to help they have sent it to the advanced team to look into and get back to me. My knowalge on this program is not the greatest so any help would be appriciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

turbofan
Level 2
FINALLY found the solution:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-125-sp2-push-installation-remote-agent-fails-when-remote-server-windows-2008

Repost:

Remote Agent Push Solution

Solution

After several months of dealing with a feature that should work and talking to tech support and listening to them attempt trail and error on a variation of this procedure and then realizing that maintaining my backup server is a manual process that requires finding solutions that Symantec can't figure out, Try this:

On your Media server-
1.Browse to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents
2. Go to the agent folder you are having issues with. (RAWS32 or RAWSX64, etc)
3. Goto the Updates Folder
3. Create a folder called OLD and move all of the updates ending with .msp to the OLD folder

32-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWS322213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWS32\Updates folder

64-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWSx642213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64\Updates folder

4. Try and push a remote agent install now..

Basically, you would expect when you upgrade your BE12.x installation, the install process would check this folder and make sure the proper updates are in this folder and remove any updates (.msp files) that arent needed.

In the case of 12.5 SP3, One would expect the SP3 agent update to contain all previous SP1. post-SP1, SP2 and post-SP2 hotfixes but with Symantec, you never know.

If you check the version of the remote agent on the remote server by going into the Backup tab on the media server, selecting a server and then selecting properties. If the version says anything other than x.x.x.158 then stop and restart the agent on the remote server, hit F5 in your Backup source selections and check the version properties again.
(ie, I see version 12.5.2213.158 after all is said and done)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

turbofan
Level 2
I'm having the same problem (and so are many others as I've seen from the forum postings).  Does Symantec have any response for this issue?  I can't push out the agent to 2008 R2 x64 clients as it cites a permissions error (though none exists).  Running the setupaax64.cmd does nothing.  I can run setup.exe locally, but it gives me all the compatibility warnings.  

Help us Symantec!!

Thanks!

turbofan
Level 2
FINALLY found the solution:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-125-sp2-push-installation-remote-agent-fails-when-remote-server-windows-2008

Repost:

Remote Agent Push Solution

Solution

After several months of dealing with a feature that should work and talking to tech support and listening to them attempt trail and error on a variation of this procedure and then realizing that maintaining my backup server is a manual process that requires finding solutions that Symantec can't figure out, Try this:

On your Media server-
1.Browse to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents
2. Go to the agent folder you are having issues with. (RAWS32 or RAWSX64, etc)
3. Goto the Updates Folder
3. Create a folder called OLD and move all of the updates ending with .msp to the OLD folder

32-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWS322213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWS32\Updates folder

64-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWSx642213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64\Updates folder

4. Try and push a remote agent install now..

Basically, you would expect when you upgrade your BE12.x installation, the install process would check this folder and make sure the proper updates are in this folder and remove any updates (.msp files) that arent needed.

In the case of 12.5 SP3, One would expect the SP3 agent update to contain all previous SP1. post-SP1, SP2 and post-SP2 hotfixes but with Symantec, you never know.

If you check the version of the remote agent on the remote server by going into the Backup tab on the media server, selecting a server and then selecting properties. If the version says anything other than x.x.x.158 then stop and restart the agent on the remote server, hit F5 in your Backup source selections and check the version properties again.
(ie, I see version 12.5.2213.158 after all is said and done)

Ryan2peirce
Level 2
thanks turbofun that is the same solution i used and it worked. had to wait till symantec advanced team called me back and they guy was very good in an hour it was sorted.