cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Agent hangs when starting on Windows 2000 Server

richlux
Level 4
The Backup Exec Remote Agent (beremote.exe) will not start on one of our Windows 2000 (sp4) servers.  I have uninstalled and reintalled the agent both remotely and local manually, but I cannot get the service to start.  There is nothing in the Windows event logs indicating a problem.  The service works fine on our other Windows 2000 servers so it must be specific to this machine.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard

14 REPLIES 14

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Richard,

Is the Remote Agent service set to run under the Local System account? If not, make it so. Also, check DCOMCNFG to make sure there are no obvious permissions issues. It's odd though, usually if it's a permissions issue, the Remotw Agent won't even install.

Greg

richlux
Level 4
Greg,

Yes, it's set to run under the Local System account.  I ran DCOMCNFG, but to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for.  Can you tell me what I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Rich

Jimmy_2
Not applicable
Started seeing the same thing here on a Windows 2000 Server.
I can start the Remote Agent Service normally but it fails to start automatically.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service to connect.

This problem surfaced out of nowhere.

Any  ideas?

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Rich,

Are you seeing this as well? Can you start the service manually, but it doesn't start automatically?

Greg

richlux
Level 4
No, in my case, it has never worked and I cannot get it to start manually or automatically.

Rich

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Rich,

On the remote, run "netstat -a" from a command prompt, and see if port 10000 is in use. If something else is using the NDMP port, that could be causing this problem.

Greg

richlux
Level 4
Nope, nothing using 10000.  This is very bizarre because it works fine on every other machine.

Rich

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Rich,

Just to cover the basics.... can you ping in each direction by name and ip? Nslookup give any name resolution problems? Network browse in each direction? Start> Run> \\name\c$ in each direction connect without authentication issues? This is definitely something specific to this one machine, just a matter of finding the difference.

Greg

richlux
Level 4
Well, this box isn't in our domain, so of course I need to use a different username and password, but network connectivity seems fine.  We have other boxes not in the domain that work fine.  I ran a test and tried to run the service under the administrator account, but I had the same problem.

Rich

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Rich,

If you have a support contract, I'd recommend opening a support case for this. This is getting to where we'd need to see detailed debugging to try to find the point of failure.

Greg

Don_Pincott
Level 2
This issue has now turned up on most of our Win 2000 Servers since upgrading to Backup Exec V12.5.  It was not a problem on any version up to and including V11.

Did anyone ever find the cause of the Remote Agent start up stalling on Windows 2000 PCs?

Thanks

bjash
Level 4
We noticed this turning up randomly on our Win2000 servers too.  All of them run under VMWare ESX 3.5 U3.  It's about 50/50--some of them don't automatically start out of a reboot (timeout 30000 milliseconds), but does when manually started after the VM guest is booted.

50/50 is 4 of our 8 servers  that are running Win2000 Server, so I wouldn't call it isolated to one machine being "different" than the rest.

abroche
Level 2
hello there i having the same problem i have tryed every thing but no luck the service just wont start automatically
any other idead on that we can do

abroche
Level 2
after 3 days strugle with this issue i start running a series of test on my network

1.everything up all pc  on - agent shuts down and fail to start
2. i tell all my users to turn off all the pc's -- agent shuts down and fail tyo start

then i start to read all this threat all over again and the reports when talking with another consultant we hit what we ting is what is cusing this problem
every time the agent shutsdown  was betwen 12:46 am  all the time then we deside to cut  the internet feed and leave the system running only our 5 servers alone from the nternet and all the pc shutsdown

the agent didn't shuts down this time   that lead us to this  conclusion there have to be somewhere hidden on one of my servers or pc a spyware or bot trying to open a door to the out side this causing the time outs on the NIC and shuting down the agent .  bad thing is we are somwwhat disapointed becouse we have the latest version of norton end point  instaaled on the server and the pc's and he didn't detect anything.

i will still looking for what is causing this and come back with a proper solution