cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Agent on Local Media Server Upgrade

Gareth_Collins
Not applicable

Hello

i have upgraded our media server (W2k3) to Backup Exec 2010, i have installed the remote agent on to a SQL server that i have and needed to use a downgraded version of the client as this SQL server is still running W2k and 2010 is not compatiable.  This is not an issue.  However i was getting the services stop on my local media server when backing up this remote computer.  the service that was stopping was the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Server.  Therefore i then downgraded the version of the RAWS on my local media server to the same as i pushed out to the W2k server.  this has resolved the issue.  Great... Howerver i now have an issue where when trying to ammend my backup jobs, restores, or even new selection lists i can not drill in to the server to see the drives etc, i have to do it all via the TEXT option. 

Therefore this is not going to be any good for me as we have to chop and change the selection lists from time to time as the backups grow etc.  How do i go about upgrading the RAWS agent on the LOCAL media server, back to 2010??

I have tried just running through the standard install and this does not give the option for the local media server.

Many thanks for your help

Gareth Collins
3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I think you misunderstood the purpose of BE working with remote agents which are one level back.  This is meant as a temporary measure for large installation rolling out a new BE version.  There may be no time to upgrade all the remote agents at one go.  The backward remote agent compatibility is not meant for skirting around the issue of unsupported software.  I don't know what version is the downgraded BE agent that  you are using, but BE 2010 can only talk to BE 12.5 remote agents, not any other earlier releases.

I think the only way to get your local remote agent back to BE 2010 is to re-install BE 2010.

Symc_Techie
Level 5
Employee
You could also try removing the older remote agent from the Media server and then run a BE 2010 repair install. That should bring it to the latest version level. Also, Remote agent on Local media server (as pkh mentioned) is an integrated part of BE and ideally should not be tampered with. You could end up hampering the complete functionality of Backup Exec.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Alo an Old agent on a new media server puts you totally out of support - the media server MUST always have the correct/matching remote agent on the server itself as it is used by too many local processes