cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Backups Fail Intermittently Publishing Check Box is Unchecked.

mikeyskib
Level 3
I have been fighting this issue off and on for about 6 months.  My Backup server is a Windows 2003 R2 SP2 with all pertinent updates.  My remote backups are Win2000 SP4 and Windows 2003 various SP's.

When I installed the remote agent I selected the publish check box and had the backup server name and I put in the 2 IP's of the NICs on the server.

What happens is backups can run for weeks or days and then they just fail.  Not all my backups fail at the same time just a server here or there or a whole bunch at once.

Errors in the job log.
V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine tkrbes.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
Access is denied to Remote Agent.  Check the login account for the specified device.

I check it then run the credentials check and the server name returns successful but the resources for Drives, SQL, System State etc... all return resource not found.

So I go to the servers with issue and notice on the Backup Exec Agent the publishing check-box is removed.  I check it then run the credentials check and the server name returns successful but the resources for Drives, SQL, System State etc... all return resource not found.

What I notice fixes the issue is after I put the check back in the box I change the publishing interval to 60 from the default of 240.  I re-run the credentials check and all the resources are successful.

So my question is why is this happening on Remote Agents losing the check-box and why does lowering the publishing interval seem to resolve it?

I have noticed Backup Exec 11+ customers all have this problem so 12 or 12.5 doesn't seem to resolve the issue.

4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Make sure you have system logon account created and it is a valid domain user on the machine.

Thanks

mikeyskib
Level 3
When the backups start failing all I have to do is put the check back in the box and the credentials start working.

The system account can't affect any of this.

My exchange 2k3 server did it to me this morning.  I put the check in the box and nothing, I then restart the service and the credentials are now valid.

It has something to do with the remote agents.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
may sound like voodoo tech support, but try removing the Remote Agent and reinstalling it

(Make sure you are on the latest SP first, of course ;) )

mikeyskib
Level 3
Yes I've done that, that's what I did before I started troubleshooting the issue further.

If I uninstall and reinstall the remote agent it lasts just as long as if I click publish and un-publish the server and restart services.

So unfortunately that doesn't help either.  The only thing consistent is that all servers will fail sometime or another.