cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Selection for DMZ Servers

Alex_w
Level 3
 I am running BE 10d on Windows 2003 SP2 servers, and I have some servers that do not show up in the Remote Selection lists when creating a backup job.

There is a VPN between the internal LAN and the DMZ, so all the ports should be available.  I can ping the servers and everything, but BE does not see them.  I do NOT want to use User Defined Selection because I am trying to back up Exchange mailboxes, SQL databases, SharePoint, Oracle, etc... not just files.

Does anyone know how BE generates the list of potential Remote Selections, as I CANNOT use User Defined Selections?

Alex
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
 Alex:  How would you expected Backup Exec to seem them if you cant see them in my network places?

Thats what Backup Exec queries. So if you dont see them there they you need to get windows to see them.

You can edit the host file on you media server and add the remote server by name and you WILL HAVE To use user defined selection. No other way around it unless you fix windows and your network to see the servers in my network places.

You can try running backup exec\rant\vxmon.exe on the remote machines and have it publish back by ip/name to media server and see if that make a difference

Mark

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marksw
Level 5
 Alex:  How would you expected Backup Exec to seem them if you cant see them in my network places?

Thats what Backup Exec queries. So if you dont see them there they you need to get windows to see them.

You can edit the host file on you media server and add the remote server by name and you WILL HAVE To use user defined selection. No other way around it unless you fix windows and your network to see the servers in my network places.

You can try running backup exec\rant\vxmon.exe on the remote machines and have it publish back by ip/name to media server and see if that make a difference

Mark

Alex_w
Level 3
 Hi,  Thanks for the posting... the vxmon tool may be what I needed.

I know about the Windows networking, but in order for me to get the other servers to show up in My Network Places, it requires setting up trusts between a public and private domain.  I was trying to see if there is an easier, softer way (possibly vxmon) and setting up a BE logon account with resource credentials

Alex